What is a Pedicure? A Guide to Cost, Etiquette & More
You might know what a manicure is, but what about a pedicure? A pedicure is a spa treatment to clean, trim, buff, scrub, sometimes paint, and just-plain pamper your toenails. Scroll down for answers to any additional questions you may have about pedicures, from prices and nail-salon etiquette to the types of pedicures available.
How much does a pedicure cost?
Since every pedicure is different, prices tend to vary. But, generally, you can expect to pay between $35–$60 for a pedicure. With one of our deals, you might pay around $15–$35 per pedicure. In addition, you should tip your nail artist. To calculate how much to tip for a pedicure, add about 15–20% to your bill.
What are the benefits of pedicures?
Most people get a pedicure to relax or cosmetic touch-ups, but there are a few potential health benefits as well:
- Infection detection: A nail artist might be able to detect fungal infections or bunions early, so you can deal with them before they become an issue.
- Softer skin: Many pedicures will use creams, lotions, and other add-ons that work to cure dry skin. And nearly all of them include exfoliation to remove any dead, unnecessary skin.
- Stress relief: If you can relax during a pedicure, you might get a psychological boost.
What nail-salon etiquette should I know about?
A nail salon is a pretty laid-back spot with few rules. But there are few things you may want to know about before your pedicure:
- Don't trim your nails before a pedicure. The nail artist will do the trimming for you.
- Don't talk on the phone. Especially if there are other customers in the salon.
- Know what color you want your nail polish to be ahead of time.Taking too long to decide can throw off a nail artist's schedule.
- For more on nail-salon etiquette, read this article below:
Learn the do's and dont's of getting a mani-pedi.
What types of pedicures are there?
A normal pedicure (often called a "regular pedicure") means you'll get your foot soaked in a sink, then scrubbed with a file or a pumice stone to remove dead skin or calluses. Afterward, your nails will be trimmed and shaped, then polished (with a specific color, if you want). Other types include:
Since chipped nails after a pedicure can be a drag, some prefer the shellac pedicure, which uses a special polish and a UV lamp that should allow your polish to last about two weeks.
The gel pedicure is virtually the same as a shellac pedicure, except it uses a gel instead of a polish to keep your nail color from chipping.
A spa pedicure puts the emphasis on pampering. These vary, but in addition to a regular pedicure, a spa pedicure might come with a longer massage, a paraffin wax treatment, or a hot-stone treatment to ease muscle pain.
There's a wide variety of less-common pedicures, but this is one of our favorites because you get to soak your feet in warm chocolate while cocoa scrubs exfoliate away. For the chocolate lover in your life, this is a nice alternative gift to a box of candy.
What are pedicure socks?
At some point, you might come across something that looks like this—prompting the question, "what is a pedicure sock?" It's a sock with the toe section removed, so you can enjoy the nail maintenance part of a pedicure while keeping the rest of your foot covered.
- Find deals on pedicure socks here.
- Purchase the pedicure socks pictured above: excell women's pedicure footies socks ($14.99)
Is there such a thing as a "men's pedicure"?
Yes! A guy can simply purchase a regular pedicure, though some nail salons specifically offer a men's pedicure.
Our Best Pedicure Deals Live Right Now
Click here to find pedicure deals near you, or scroll below to see some of the top deals live on our site:
- Los Angeles: $19 for spa pedicure & salt scrub at Salon LaLa in Huntington Beach ($32 value)
- Philadelphia: $22 for one men's pedicure at La Vita Bella in Norristown ($40 value)
- Phoenix: $27 for one citrus or chocolate pedicure at R Salon ($60 value)
- Tampa: $29 for gel or shellac pedicure at Privily Beauty Bar in Westchase ($62 value)
- Kansas City: $47 for vegan organic pedicure at Diva Nails in Overland Park ($75 value)
- Las Vegas: $37 for an organic glitter gel pedicure at The Body Spa at Red Rock ($75 value)
- Charlotte: $15 for one kids mani-pedi at Cutie Patootie Kids Entertaining Spa ($27 value)
- Minneapolis: $30 for one express gel pedicure at Kimberely's Nail Studio ($50 value)
- Boston: $37 for pedicure with European foot herbal bath at Laura at Crown Day Spa ($75 value)
Pin down the best way to express yourself through nail color with our handy quiz.
If you struggle with ingrown toenail fungus, you might be worried about getting a pedicure. Three nail-sail professionals explain why you don't have to worry.
We polled nearly 100 coworkers and Facebook followers for their opinion on this essential mani-pedi question.
The Guide: we cover the coolest food, beauty, and entertainment trends happening nationwide.