What’s Your Chicago Foodie IQ?
Chicago's foodscape is vibrant, diverse, and sprawling. So keeping up with its goings-on is quite the challenge. Are you in the know? Prove it—or get up to speed—with this round of culinary trivia. Then see how you stack up.
1. There are now about 120 food trucks in Chicago. What famous deep-dish joint sent its new food truck out on the streets at the beginning of the summer?
2. A judge recently dismissed the city's petition to dismiss a lawsuit filed against it by three food-truck operators. The lawsuit challenges a ban that requires food trucks to stay how far from brick-and-mortar restaurants?
3. Bekim and Ilir Frrokaj are suing Charlie Trotter, who they say charged them $46,227.20 for something that turned out to be fake. What was it?
4. Before it closed in 2012, Charlie Trotter's was a two-star Michelin Guide restaurant. What is the only three-star restaurant in Chicago?
5. Chicago foodies have decried the Michelin inspectors' failure to rank another of Grant Achatz’s projects, Next, which reimagines itself with an entirely new menu a few times each year. What's the current menu theme?
6. Upton's Naturals is slated to open a vegan café, Upton's Breakroom, on the site of its new processing plant. What is Upton's Naturals famous for making?
2) 200 feet
3) A bottle of wine—supposedly a 1945 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti, to be exact.
6) Seitan, a meat substitute
How’d you do?
5–6 right: Food Maven
Congrats! You’re a fountain of food knowledge and restaurant recommendations. We can only stand in awe of your hard-earned, grease-stained wisdom.
3–4 right: Proud Chicagoan
You’re a food-savvy local, up to scratch on who’s who and what’s delicious. We hereby award you 5 million points.
1–2 right: Food-Aware
You pick up on some things, but you’re not up-to-date on the latest news. Maybe you should see if Graham Elliot can hang out sometime.
0 right: Out-of-Towner
You live in Boston.
When she's not writing at Groupon, Rachel pillages her local library, plays board games, and cooks (but never, ever bakes).