Gaze out on Manhattan as you run, stretch, crunch, and triple lutz your way over the Brooklyn Bridge, feeling more like public menace Spider-Man with every set of pushups. Today's Groupon will get you in shape with what has been billed as the toughest workout in New York: $45 gets you five classes with Brooklyn Bridge Boot Camp, a $90 value. That's exactly as many classes founder Ariane Hundt promises it will take for your energy to shoot through the roof and for your clothes to sag in places where they once pulled taut.
Start on the Manhattan-side entrance ramp to the Brooklyn Bridge and get warmed up with long sets of pushups and dips, the bridge railing serving as your gym gear. Then start your running journey of the one-plus mile to the Brooklyn side, pausing at each tower to squat and lunge your way to a powerful physique. Burn up to 800 calories per hour as you define your abs, slenderize your hips and thighs, lift your butt, and tone your arms. Once you've made it to Brooklyn, you're halfway done; expect a similar routine on the run back. Using the Brooklyn Bridge itself to prepare you for physical challenges is the perfect way to avoid future conflicts with cloverfields. The whole program takes an hour, and will get you firmer, tougher, and more energetic in no time.
Classes are also tailored to your individual fitness level, remain challenging whether you're a fitness fiend looking for something new, or you're itching to finally get off your gaming chair. Sessions take place in the morning five days a week, well before you need to be at your blog-reading job. There are also two evening classes and two weekend classes, so there's no excuse to not run between the boroughs like a mighty nor'easter.
- It's excruciating -- the class credo isn't "butt kicking with a view" for nothing -- but not ear-splitting. Masochists looking for spittle-filled screams typical of army drill sergeants won't find any such thing in Hundt's quietly attentive demeanor. And the environs are arresting: As the class takes place, the sun begins to peak through the steel wires and stone towers of the bridge. – Kirsten Fleming, New York Post
Social Workout couldn't help but love the ridiculously challenging program:
- ...a class that consists of running over outdoor bridge (2.26 miles) while doing lunges, squats, stair drills, resistance bands, ab work, and push-ups -- with an audience of pedestrians -- was a little outside my comfort zone. But, other than hating it, I loved it.... – Kimberly Rae Miller, Social Workout
Among the stranger moments in the history of the Brooklyn Bridge was the 2006 discovery of a Cold War–era fall-out shelter built into the masonry of the bridge itself. The emergency supplies and other cultural remnants found inside have made it a sort of time capsule of that time and place in our nation’s history. Some of the items recovered include:
- 3700 cans of Smooth Mack’s Petroleum Pomade: For Gents!
- Rare Highlights magazine where Goofus and Gallant are drafted into Korean Conflict
- Cereal boxes featuring uncomfortable stereotypes
- Homemade gas mask of ski goggles taped to vacant beehive
- Either a can of Spam or a fatback-scented candle—lab results pending.
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.
Brooklyn Bridge Boot Camp
Most boot camps give fitness seekers a view of another person's back during class, so when certified trainer Ariane Hundt started her boot camp, she chose her favorite sightseeing spots in the city. Students make a round trip across the Brooklyn bridge, with unmatched views of the city along the way. But it's not your eyes that get the main workout. Self magazine named Ariane's class one of the hottest boot camps in the country because participants also challenge themselves using bridge structures and benches as exercise props. Ariane's stable of trainers lead other outdoor boot camps with scenic views as well, including one that begins and ends in Central Park. Each is a small-group session capped at 15–20 students that challenges people of virtually any fitness level, making it easy for students to join at any time. They can also get support in reaching their fitness goals with the company's nutrition and weight-loss programs.