A beautiful climbing facility with ropes course, walls, and bouldering formations that build climbers into scaling savants
Groupon Customer Reviews
About This Deal
- Indoor climbing
- Valid only at Boston and Newburyport locations.
- Must be 14 or older for Intro to Climbing Course.
Indoor Rock Climbing FAQs
- Is it safe? Yes. Rock climbing gyms typically require a safety course on proper belaying techniques, knots, and other fundamentals for top-rope courses and have designated "beginner" courses for first timers.
- What should I wear? Loose-fitting clothing that you can easily move around in. You'll be able to grab climbing shoes, harness, and other necessary gear onsite.
- Do I have to be in good shape? Not really—climbing gyms have courses that cater to a wide range of fitness levels. Generally speaking, if you can climb a ladder you can indoor rock climb.
- What if I'm afraid of heights? Try bouldering, which takes place on shorter walls and doesn't require harnesses or other top-rope gear. Bouldering focuses more on moving sideways than vertically, so climbers rarely get more than 10–12 feet off the ground.
Within both MetroRock locations, visitors ascend via bouldering walls and rope-climbing walls or take to aerobic exercise machines and fitness equipment to build strength. With this setup available to climbers of all skill levels, the founders of the climbing arenas achieved their goal of creating a community where scalers can congregate, share their passions, and hone their climbing skills.
During indoor and outdoor classes, instructors create lessons that help each climber reach their goals. Indoor courses help instill students with basic climbing skills, rescue techniques, or the brute strength needed for bouldering or to intimidate mountains out of their lunch money. Outdoors, American Mountain Guide Association and Single Pitch–certified instructors teach alpinists skills that include how to secure top-rope anchors and how to climb ice or scale for sport. The centers' founders and their teams also organize climbing-centric programming that includes youth climbing teams and team-building events that challenge groups while forming bonds.