What You'll Get
Jump to: Reviews | Impersonal Trainers
When we work out alone, this is how it goes: we can’t figure out the machines, do a wimpy walk on the treadmill, go home, and eat Funyons. Today’s Groupon brings back the buddy system before letting you loose on the gym. For $29, you get an hour-long personal training session and fitness assessment (a $35 value) and a one-month membership (a $75 value) at Optimal Sport Health Clubs. Your personal training session pairs you up with an expert trainer to evaluate your fitness level, help you set personal goals, briefly exchange Dungeons and Dragons anecdotes, and get you started on a proper workout. You'll get an entire month to put your training into practice with unlimited access to Optimal's equipment and group fitness classes at any of its three locations: Philadelphia Curtis Center, Newtown, and Burlington, NJ. Plus, if you decide you want to join Optimal Sport Health Club after your Groupon month is up, your initiation fee is waived.
With a personal training session under your belt, you’ll gain the confidence and knowledge essential to effortlessly plow through Optimal's state-of-the-art equipment. Even if you’re a seasoned gym rat, you can use this Groupon to spicy up your routine with new group classes and keep your muscles wondering what will come next. Your personal trainer and group fitness instructors can point out when you’re doing a stretch incorrectly, help you tone the trouble zones, and push you to keep going when you’d otherwise quit or become distracted by the fragile beauty of a passing hummingbird. Train your body from every angle with yoga, spin, Pilates, boot camp, and more. Check out the various schedules for classes at the Philadelphia, Newtown, and Burlington locations.
Being self-motivated is hard work. The tasks you routinely complete are usually executed in response to gentle encouragement from the powers above (the IRS, the police, your boss, your landlord). Applying that approach to the area of exercise will increase your productivity and get you serious results in no time.
Note: You can hop around to all three gym locations during your one-month membership.
Because clients of Optimal Sport Health Clubs come from all walks of life, reviews are scattered. An Insider Pages user gives the Newtown location four stars, a Kudzu user gives the Philadelphia location five stars, and Yelpers give it five too. CityVoters put Optimal Sport Health Club on the Philly Hot List:
- If you like a smaller more personable venue in which to work out, this is it. – Mary K., Insider Pages
- This gym tucked away in the lower level of the beautiful Curtis Center is GREAT! The owners actually care. Classes are challenging and fun. Amazingly CLEAN! Great value.. you have to see it. – healthnut1, Kudzu
- The staff is friendly, the equipment is excellent and it has a homey feel to it. There is no intimidation by anyone and it is a highlight of the day to work out there. – Joseph C., CityVoter
One of the best parts about utilizing a personal trainer is the relationship you’ll forge with someone attentive to your concerns and genuinely interested in your well-being. Unfortunately, not all gyms offer empathetic trainers. Optimal’s competitor, Disdainful Fitness, employs a largely volunteer staff of highly distracted trainers who appear to have other things they’d rather be doing. Here are a few quotes we overheard:
- “You can do it, uh…I want to say Marshall? You can do it, Marshall. Is it Mark? Marshall? Wait, was it Lewis?”
- “Hm? Oh, yeah, you can put that weight down. Sorry, I was checking out this interview with Feist. She seems pretty cool. Do you think she likes guys who work in gyms?”
- “Yeah, I don’t know. It’s like, if I go to grad school, am I going because I’m pursuing a goal, or is Dennis putting off his life again because Dennis doesn’t know who Dennis wants to be, you know? Hey, dude, are you breathing? Oh, snap.”
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires May 3, 2010. Amount paid never expires. New clients only. 1 per person, multiple as gifts. Not valid with other offers. Redeem within 6 months for membership. Must be 18 or older. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
About Optimal Sport Health Club
The professional staff and certified personal trainers at Optimal Sport Health Club, a popular chain of boutique fitness centers in Philadelphia, want to help their clients get into the best shape of their lives. The facilities have everything members need to reach their workout goals, whether they want to build lean muscle, lose weight, or simply get stronger.
Here, clients can work out with the cardio and strength-training equipment or head over to the group fitness studio to take classes in everything from Pilates to step class to yoga. Personal trainers are on hand for those looking to ramp up their fitness routines.