Groupon Getaways FAQ
What is Groupon Getaways?
Whether you’re searching for inspiration or ready to book your travel now, Groupon Getaways has the trip you’re looking for at the best possible value. We offer 1,000s of hotels and tours that you can search by destination and dates.
There are two types of Getaways. Flash Deals offer 15–70% off three to five-star hotels. If there are no deals available for your destination and dates, try our Market Picks. They offer a great value on select hotels plus a 5% Groupon Bucks credit to use on the next awesome deal you find. It’s our way of ensuring that no matter which trip you buy, you get the best value on Groupon.
Purchasing a Getaway
What’s the difference between Flash Deals and Market Pick Hotels?
Every travel option we offer on Groupon must meet stringent standards for star ratings, customer reviews, hotel quality, and value. Both Flash Deals and Market Picks offer the best value available for a given hotel, but here’s how they differ:
- Flash Deals offer exclusive discounts of 15–70% and are available for a limited time—typically 10–16 days.
- Market Picks also offer a great value but without the deep discounts of Flash Deals. Instead, Market Pick Hotels offer prices that are competitive with other websites and come with a 5% Groupon Bucks credit to ensure that you get the best value around.
Is airfare included in Getaways?
Unless otherwise specified in the deal, airfare is not included.
How do I make a reservation for my Getaway?
- If you’ve chosen a voucher deal:
- Purchase your Groupon Getaways voucher.
- Your voucher will be available in your account under “My Groupons” and will include all of the necessary booking information.
- Contact the merchant as specified on your voucher or in the section before the book-by date. Be sure to mention your Groupon Getaways voucher
- Book a date within the travel window specified in the Fine Print & Details section.
- Provide your credit card information, if necessary, to secure your reservation (this is for booking purposes only—your card will not be charged).
- If you’ve chosen a hotel that allows you to book dates directly on Groupon.com using the booking calendar:
- Select your dates, room type, and number of guests directly on the Groupon Getaways site or mobile app.
- Click the “Book!” button and complete the ordering process.
- You’ll receive an email that confirms your purchase and includes all of your travel information.
How do I confirm my Getaway?
- If you’ve purchased a voucher, it will be available in your account under “My Groupons” and will include all of the necessary booking information. In order to book your travel dates, contact the merchant using the contact information listed on the voucher.
- If you booked your dates directly on Groupon Getaways using the booking calendar, you’re all set. You won’t need a Groupon voucher, and you’ll receive a confirmation in your email. Your confirmation will also be available in your Groupon account in the My Groupons section. You do not need to contact the merchant unless you are making a special request; special requests must be made before your check-in date.
Is my Getaway paid in full?
- The amount you pay for a Groupon voucher typically does not include taxes or any fees. Check the Fine Print & Details section to see if any additional taxes or fees are owed upon booking or at check-in.
- Hotels booked directly through Groupon.com using the booking calendar typically include taxes and service fees unless otherwise stated. Any information related to taxes and service fees will be displayed on the payment page during checkout. Unless specified otherwise, the price of your Getaway does not include any other traveler costs including such astravel insurance, incidentals, service charges, gratuities, or expenses due to special requests or add-ons.
Can I buy a Getaway as a gift?
If the Getaway is a voucher deal, then click “Give as a Gift” (located below the “Buy!” button) and proceed with the purchase process. After you’ve completed the order, we’ll send the voucher to the gift recipient, and then he or she can call the merchant to book the trip.
If you’re booking your dates directly through Groupon.com using the booking calendar, list the recipient’s name during the purchase process when asked for ”Traveler Name.”
Can I buy more than one Groupon Getaways voucher for the same hotel?
This varies for each Groupon Getaways offer, so check the Fine Print & Details section for any restrictions. With some Groupon Getaways offers, you can combine more than one voucher for a longer stay.
A reminder about the Fine Print:
Please take extra care to check the Fine Print & Details section on all Groupon Getaways offers before you buy, as this section may include important information such as blackout dates, cancellation policies, maximum room occupancy, and more.
Canceling or Modifying Your Getaway
What happens if I need to cancel my Getaway?
- If you’ve purchased a voucher, you can get a refund for any reason within seven days of purchase. Head to your My Groupons page and click ”Edit order,” or contact Groupon Customer Support. After seven days, your purchase is final unless the merchant doesn't have availability for your preferred dates. Once you make a reservation with the merchant, you are subject to its cancellation policy, which is listed in the Fine Print & Details section.
- If you’ve booked your dates directly on Groupon using the booking calendar, check the Fine Print & Details section for the cancellation deadline. You can cancel your Getaway by contacting Groupon Customer Support anytime before that deadline. Some deals allow self-service cancellations; this option will appear on your My Groupons page if it’s available.
Where can I find the cancellation deadline?
The cancellation deadline is located in the Fine Print & Details section for your Getaway. You can find this information on your My Groupons page by clicking ”View order details” next to the image for this Groupon.
Where can I make special requests related to my Getaway?
All requests must be made directly with the merchant prior to check-in. Groupon cannot fulfill any special requests and cannot guarantee that these requests will be fulfilled by the merchant.
What happens if I need to modify my Groupon Getaway?
If you’ve purchased a voucher, any modifications to your trip must be made through the merchant. However, Groupon cannot guarantee that these requests will be fulfilled.If you booked your dates directly on Groupon.com using the booking calendar, we are unable to modify your reservation. However, you may cancel your reservation before the cancellation deadline and make a new reservation if the Groupon Getaways offer is still available on Groupon.
What if I can’t book or travel before the promotional value of my Getaways voucher expires?
If the promotional value of your Groupon Getaways voucher expires before you use it, the voucher is still worth what you paid for and is a credit with the merchant toward the advertised experience. Additionally, each Groupon Getaways offer carries a booking guarantee. If the merchant isn’t able to book the dates you want after purchasing, you can contact us at 888-992-2322 Monday–Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (CT) or by clicking here to request a refund before the promotional value expires.
Checking In with Your Getaway
Do I need to have the same credit card with me at check-in that I used to purchase my Getaway?
Nope. The merchant will require a valid photo ID and a valid credit card for check-in, but it doesn’t have to be the credit card used for purchase.
What should I do if the hotel has problems locating my Getaway reservation?
If the merchant is unable to locate your Getaway for any reason, please call Groupon Customer Support at 888-992-2322 Monday–Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (CT) or contact us by clicking here and we will resolve any miscommunication.
Can I upgrade my room?
Some properties allow for upgrades at an additional cost. The Fine Print & Details section of the Groupon Getaways offer will include this information. If the offer includes an upgrade option, you can arrange your upgrade with the merchant directly. If no upgrades are listed, you can always call the merchant to ask if an upgrade can be made for your dates.
What happens if I need to modify the Traveler Name on my trip?
You should contact the merchant directly to make any modifications to the Traveler Name.
What else do I need to know at check-in for my Market Pick?
To view hotel-specific check-in instructions, go to My Groupons, locate your Getaway, and click ”Hotel Details”. Check-in instructions will appear in the Fine Print & Details section.
Questions about 5% in Groupon Bucks Credit
Why does Groupon Getaways offer a 5% Groupon Bucks credit on some hotels but not others?
At Groupon, we’re committed to providing the best possible value in travel. Because Market Pick hotels don’t offer the same deep discounts as Flash Deals, they include a 5% Groupon Bucks credit to ensure that you get the best value available. Our Flash Deals are already deeply discounted, so they don’t include a Groupon Bucks credit.
When I book a Market Pick hotel, how is the 5% Groupon Bucks credit calculated?
You’ll get a credit worth 5% of the total purchase price before taxes and any necessary fees are applied. We’ll deposit the credit into the Groupon account used to make the purchase within 24 hours of hotel check-in. These Groupon Bucks will expire 180 days from the time you receive them.
I’ve booked a Market Pick hotel. How do I get my 5% Groupon Bucks credit?
We’ll deposit this credit into the Groupon account used to make the purchase within 24 hours of hotel check-in. These Groupon Bucks will expire 180 days from the time you receive them.
What can I use my 5% Groupon Bucks credit for?
Groupon Bucks can be used toward the purchase of anything on Groupon.com except for gift cards and Getaways Market Picks. You can use the credit anywhere, but many customers find that it’s a great excuse to explore the restaurants, activities, and attractions in their travel destination.
We offer thousands of great local deals across the United States and Canada, making it even more affordable to check out new places when you travel. Whatever you purchase, your Groupon Bucks will be automatically credited to the next deal you buy until they run out. And don’t wait to use them—they expire 180 days from the date you receive them.
Why can’t I use Groupon credit (i.e., Groupon Bucks, incentives, or gift cards) toward my Market Pick hotel reservation?
Unfortunately, technical limitations prevent us from applying Groupon credit to Market Pick hotel reservations (we process them differently from other purchases). But fear not—you can use your credit on thousands of other deals available every day on Groupon.
I want to book a hotel that I saw on Getaways recently, but now I can’t find it. What happened?
Flash Deals are available in limited quantities and for a limited time, so the deal may have sold out or expired.
A Market Pick hotel may not reappear because it no longer has availability for your dates. Alternatively, the hotel’s rate for your dates may have gone up, preventing it from meeting our value requirements.
If you can’t find the deal you wanted, don’t worry; we offer thousands of travel deals on Getaways. Check back often—we add new Getaways every week.
I need additional help.
No problem. You can call Groupon Customer Support at 888-992-2322 Monday–Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (CT) or here to send us an email and we'll be happy to help you in any way we can.