How Much Does A Hot Air Balloon Ride Cost & Other FAQs
A hot air balloon ride has been considered a top-tier romantic gesture for decades. They're those once-in-a-lifetime experiences you'll definitely want to check off your bucket list. But you might have some questions before you agree to fly thousands of feet in the air in a giant wicker basket. Here's everything you need to know about hot air balloon rides.
How much is a hot air balloon ride?
The cost of a hot air balloon ride is usually determined by several variables. But generally speaking, each ride runs about $200–$300 per person. However, with a Groupon, you a find similar hot air balloon ride prices for as low as $129 per person, including a post-flight champagne toast.
Where can I find hot air balloon deals?
You can find hot-air balloon ride deals near you by clicking here. Or scan these currently live deals below in some of the country's largest markets:
- Chicago: $199 for 3.5-hour hot-air balloon ride experience for one from Chicago Balloon Rides Off ($275 value)
- Los Angeles: $129 for hot-air balloon ride for one with breakfast and champagne from Adventure Balloon Rides ($260 value)
- New York: $226 for a one-hour hot-air balloon ride for one from Hudson Valley Enchanted Balloon Tours ($275 value)
- Orlando: $139 for hot-air balloon ride for one on a weekday on Monday–Friday morning from Orlando Balloon Rides ($195 value)
- Albuquerque: $137 for hot-air balloon ride with champagne and snack for one from World Balloon ($199 value)
- Las Vegas: $139 for sunrise hot-air balloon ride for one, redeemable Monday–Thursday from Vegas Balloon Rides ($275 value)
Do hot air balloon rides take place in bad weather?
No, only in good weather. A quick lesson about how hot air balloons work: wind dictates everything, from how the balloons inflate to where they go in-flight. So a balloon can only fly in calm, clear conditions; no rain, no fog, and very little wind—no more than 8–10 mph.
When do hot air balloon flights take place?
Most hot air balloon companies fly only at sunrise and sunset because that's when the wind is the calmest.
How tall is the hot air balloon basket?
It will vary, but it should be short enough to look out over and tall enough to make you feel comfortable about being secure. On most rides, the sides came up to about your waist.
What does a hot air balloon ride feel like?
Once you're a few feet off the ground, it really feels like floating. Because the balloon moves with the wind, you don't feel any resistance or swaying, and the air is still and quiet. They will float up and down, topping out at about 2,000 feet off the ground.
Are hot air balloon rides scary?
For me, the hot-air balloon ride was calm and relaxing. The only real "scary" part of the whole hot air balloon experience turned out to be taking pictures. To get a clear shot, I had to reach out past the basket's edges, and I couldn't stop imagining that I would drop my phone. Trusty Pete said that had only happened a few times, and that they actually found a woman's phone once—when she dropped it from about 10 feet up. Whew! What a relief.
How much does a hot air balloon cost?
Always dreamed of owning your own air balloon? Well, a small hot air balloon that fits two people will run you about $22,000. Air balloons made to hold four or more passengers typically range from $35,000 and up (pun intended).