What to Wear: Spring Trends from New York Fashion Week
Many were buzzing about seeing Naomi Campbell and Karen Elson return to the runway for September’s Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, but the supermodels’ return was made all the more triumphant by the covetable looks they wore from Diane von Furstenberg and Jason Wu. The designers previewed some of spring 2014’s freshest trends—graphic black-and-white and metallics, respectively—with admirable restraint, creating surprisingly wearable looks.
On other runways, designers breathed new life into some of fall 2013’s biggest trends, including a more urban spin on the grunge revival and a dramatic shortening of the already-daring crop top. Ready your spring wardrobe with these ripped-from-the-runway styles using unique pieces from local boutiques and designers.
The Look: Crop Tops
This outfit combines two trends in one: the ever-popular crop top and '90s-inspired pieces. The luxe feel of the crisp white top, cobalt pumps, and gold cuff (emblazoned with an oversize logo, like those seen at Alexander Wang and DKNY) are chic enough for dinner in the candlelit booths at Gilt Bar. But the casualness of the patterned jogging pants and jean jacket means the look can easily transition to shooting pool amid the concert posters at High Dive.
1. Denim jacket; River Island ($70)
2. Black leather Baggu drawstring bag; Penelope’s ($140)
3. Geometric jogging trousers; Tibi ($365)
4. Crop top with mesh insert; River Island ($20)
5. Logo cuff; Dsquared ($225)
6. Block-heel pumps; Topshop ($100)
The Look: Menswear-Inspired Tailoring
A structured white top and smart, tailored trousers create a polished base à la Thakoon’s and 3.1 Phillip Lim’s menswear-inspired collections. Vibrant earrings, a bow necklace, and the python clutch introduce feminine touches, and two-tone oxfords add a boyish charm.
1. Papillion bow necklace; Shades of Grey ($28)
2. Python clutch purse; Lori’s Shoes ($34.95)
3. Whistles white sculptured top; John Lewis ($120)
4. Black jacquard trousers; Wallis ($46)
5. Oversized stud earrings; Francesca’s ($9)
6. Thorocraft Hampton oxfords; Una Mae’s ($198)
The Look: Metallics
Although this silky, silvery cami is the most obvious nod to the metallic trend seen at Jason Wu and Reem Acra, the sheen of this aubergine skirt carries it on in an unexpected way. The flamingo clutch adds a spunky pop of color to an otherwise formal outfit, and, along with the skirt’s voluminous silhouette, helps the ensemble stand out from the holiday season’s typical metallic looks.
1. Layered chiffon camisole; Tibi ($195)
2. Chinese Laundry sandals; Lori’s Shoes ($64.95)
3. Two-tone Little Moon earrings; Sarah McGuire ($220)
4. Jacquard full skirt; Tibi ($395)
5. Flamingo clutch; Lizzie Fortunato ($495)