- $30 for one ticket to the Memphis Music Fest ($49 value)
- When: Friday, August 8, at 8 p.m.
- Where: The Mahaffey Theater
- Section: orchestra
- Door time: 7 p.m.
- Ticket values include all fees.
- Click here to view the seating chart
Memphis Music Fest
- Booker T. Jones: as the leader of Booker T. & the M.G.’s—the backbone of Stax Records—the Rock and Roll Hall of Famer and Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award recipient massages the ivories to siphon the world’s surplus of groove in instrumental aphrodisiacs such as “Green Onions” and “Hip Hug-Her”
- The Bar-Kays: another famous act that once backed Stax Records as the house band and played backup for Otis Redding, The Bar-Kays’s distinctive strut and stomp drives horn-laden funk classics such as “Soul Finger” and “Son of Shaft”
- William Bell: with his earnest voice and penchant for writing hits that tug at the soul and hips, this Memphis legend helped jump-start the Stax/Volt sound in 1961 by penning hits such as “You Don’t Miss Your Water” and the blues staple “Born Under a Bad Sign”; in later years, he scored a hit with “Tryin’ To Love Two,” which is still the most funky ode to multitasking ever written
The Mahaffey Theater
Just minutes from downtown's bustling shops and overlooking the glassy waters of Tampa Bay, The Mahaffey Theater's picturesque building hosts some of Florida's most entertaining art and performance offerings. Originally built in 1965, the renovated building's floor-to-ceiling glass façade pierces the night with softly glowing light, cordially inviting patrons inside and awakening desires in moths that can never be fulfilled. The box-style seating of the theater ensures clear sightlines for all patrons, and its excellent acoustics make the venue suitable for both thunderous rock bands and delicate chamber ensembles.