Children and adults can enjoy learning about birds and other topics through nature related exhibits and programs.
About This Deal
Current exhibits include The Extinct Birds Project by artist Alberto Re on view through January 13th), featuring 18 original works that examine collecting practices, causes for extinction, and the politics of categorizing endangered species, as well as displays of Peterson original artwork and memorabilia.
*Museum store with books, limited-edition prints, Peterson field guides, Charley Harper products, childrens items, bird-friendly coffee and more. * Nature trails
Need To Know
About Roger Tory Peterson Institute of Natural History
Named after artist, naturalist, and ornithologist, the Roger Tory Peterson the Peterson Institute of Natural History (RTPI) inflames visitors’ sense of childlike awe toward the natural world and its winged wildlife with a resplendent multitude of galleries, rotating exhibits, and events. Founded in 1984, this museum preserves Peterson's lifetime body of work and educates people about wildlife with an emphasis on birds through art, education, and conservation.
- Eye Catcher: A beautiful headquarters building featuring world-class architecture by Robert A.M. Stern, located in a serene wooded setting with nature trails.
- Permanent Mainstay: Peterson art galleries display original, infrequently shown artwork, including plates from the first editions of Peterson's seminal field guide to birds, as well as artifacts and memorabilia from the Peterson Collection.
- Don't Miss: Museum store where wildlife lovers can purchase books, limited-edition prints, local products, bird-friendly coffee, and much more.
- Past Exhibits: Roger Tory Peterson: The Life, The Work, The Legacy focused on the life and works of the famous artist, photographer, and adventurer. The exhibit included 14 new paintings and numerous sketches of birds.
- Special Programs: The Institute leads conservation projects and educational activities including Project Wild America Youth Ambassadors, Wild America Nature Festival, Winter Raptor Surveys, and more.