A theatrical adaptation gives audiences a faster way to savor works of literature, whereas books on tape always leave too many paper cuts. Enjoy the written word without reading with today’s GrouponLive deal to see We Have Always Lived in the Castle at City Lit Theater Company, located on the second floor of Edgewater Presbyterian Church. Doors open 40 minutes before each show. Choose from the following options and performance dates:
- For $18, you get two general-admission tickets to a preview performance (a $36 value). Choose from the following shows:
- Friday, February 24 at 8 p.m.
- Saturday, February 25, at 8 p.m.
Sunday, February 26, at 3 p.m.
- For $25, you get two general-admission tickets to a regular performance (a $50 value). Choose from the following shows:
- Friday, March 2, at 8 p.m.
- Saturday, March 3, at 8 p.m.
- Sunday, March 4, at 3 p.m.
Dedicated to transmogrifying bound works of literature into immersive plays since 1979, City Lit Theater Company translates the Shirley Jackson page-turner We Have Always Lived in the Castle into a suspenseful theatrical experience. The author of The Haunting of Hill House and “The Lottery,” Jackson’s tightrope prose has long influenced writers such as Stephen King while giving the nation’s boogeymen nightmares about cramped closets. The players of City Lit bring her final novel to life in their portrayal of the Blackwood sisters, who, along with their invalid uncle, have been ostracized for alleged parenticide. When a pesky cousin visits and shatters their seclusion, murder, witchcraft, and tense games of family Monopoly abound. We Have Always Lived in the Castle is a taut treat for theater and thriller fans, entertaining in layers and exposing the peaks and valleys of provincial isolationism.