- $10 for one ticket to Genesee Valley Orchestra and Chorus’s Opera Goes to Church: Sacred Music by Opera Composers (up to $15 value)
- When: Friday, May 15 at 7:30 p.m.
- Where: Church of the Assumption
- Seating: general admission
- Door time: 7 p.m.
- Full offer value includes ticketing fees
- The Theme: an exploration of renowned composers who adapted operatic arias and choruses to devotional music
- The Composers: Wagner, Rossini, Puccini, Verdi, Bizet, and more
- The Challenge: differentiating between the works written for religious purposes and those written for secular audiences
Genesee Valley Orchestra and Chorus
It all started with a celebration 200 years in the making. In 1976, Diocesan Festival Chorus conductor Virginia Hogan was asked to prepare a concert dedicated to the nation's Bicentennial. Once she began looking, she found talent all around her, and from the community, she amassed a chorus of 40 voices to ring out in celebration of the nation's founding.
Later that year, a small orchestra joined forces with the group for a traditional performance of Handel's Messiah, and the ensemble that would become Genesee Valley Orchestra and Chorus was officially born. Their ranks soon swelled to more than 100 singing members and one quiet one who's allowed to just wave a stick around. Simultaneously, their repertoire expanded. It now includes not just hymns and oratorios but also spirituals, show tunes, and traditional folk songs.
Church of the Assumption
20 East Avenue
Fairport, NY 14450