Book your visit today. Discover an active Ice Age excavation site with real scientists working right before your eyes
About This Deal
- Daily Admission - Entry valid anytime from 9:30 am - 5 pm
Guests can explore the remanents of the Ice Age and get a close look at excavators working on fossils in real time.
- Age ranges for age-specific tickets:
- Adult: 18 and up
- Senior: 65 and older
- Student: 13-17 or with valid student ID
- Child: 3–12
- Children 2 and under are free.
La Brea Tar Pits and Museum
The La Brea Tar Pits and Museum offers a one-of-a-kind experience that allows visitors to enter an Ice Age excavation site. Visitors can walk through the park, where tar is still bubbling, to our active fossil excavation sites to see what our excavators have uncovered today. Millions of fossils have been discovered here including mammoths, saber-toothed cats, dire wolves and giant sloths that roamed Los Angeles over 11,000 years ago.
Guests can get an up-close look at the excavators as they dig up fossils. Scientists working on them can be watched in their visible lab, and their discoveries displayed throughout the museum.
- Tours and Talks- Visitors can get behind-the-scenes stories of how animals got caught in the tar. The history of the Tar Pits, and the work the excavators perform can be observed with the Excavation Tour. Daily talks at the excavation sites and Fossil lab offer Q&A sessions between guests and scientists, where they can learn about their fascinating subjects. All included with paid museum admission.