What You'll Get
- $25 for one general-admission ticket, plus a download code for Taikoza’s latest album, Kodama (up to $56 total value)
- $39 for one general-admission ticket, plus a drum lesson (up to $76 total value)
- When: Thursday, October 20, at 7 p.m., or Friday, October 21, at 8 p.m.
Drum lessons take place at 584 8th Ave in Manhattan at various times on October 26 and November 2 (4:30–6:30 p.m.) or October 29 and November 6 (noon to 3 p.m.). Reservation required; the phone number to reserve a lesson will be included in your voucher.
For the album option, you will receive a digital download card when you redeem your Groupon at the box office on the day of the show.
- Who they are: a taiko drum troupe with members from Japan, Switzerland, and the U.S.
- When they formed: 1995. They’ve traveled the world since, playing everywhere from Carnegie Hall to Miyajima Temple in Hiroshima.
- Where the taiko tradition comes from: it was originally developed to communicate across vast distances and scare away approaching giants
- What distinguishes taiko drums from regular drums: their size—some of them weigh 400 pounds and stretch more than six feet long
- Taikoza’s special guest: Ichiro Jishoya, a taiko master known for playing 10 of the massive drums at once
- How Eric Hubler of the Washington Post described a Taikoza show: “something strange and wonderful [was] coming…There was thunder and there was lightning and there was the sea crashing against a cliff.”
The Fine Print
Expiration varies. Limit 8/person. Valid only for option purchased. Registration required for lessons. Redeem on day of show for a ticket at the venue box office. Refundable only on day of purchase. Discount reflects merchant's current ticket prices, which may change. ADA seating cannot be guaranteed; contact box office prior to purchase for availability. Ticket value includes all fees. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.