In the 1930s, the U.S. government issued a hobby to each citizen to keep them entertained until NASA finished working out the bugs in kissing. Self-determine a new pastime with today’s Groupon: for $20, you get a shooting range outing at Heartland Outdoors in Edmond (a $45.75 total value). Each outing includes the following:
- Unlimited range time (a $15 value)
- Gun rental (a $10 value)
- A box of bullets (a $20 value)
- A paper target (a $0.75 value)
- Safety gear<p>
Heartland Outdoors, a full-service hunting-goods and sporting-goods shop, allows hunters and marksmen to hone their crafts within a state-of-the-art, climate-controlled shooting and archery range with 14 lanes. After selecting from the shop’s assortment of rentable name-brand firearms—which includes handguns and shotguns from Smith & Wesson, Springfield, Glock, and Beretta—guests can hone their aim on paper targets. The Action Target Rapid Rail System allows clients to place targets at variable ranges from 5 yards to 22 yards, equipping hunters with the skill to woo frisky deer for an intimate slow dance. Heartland Outdoors requires closed-toe shoes and sound-dampening earmuffs for safety reasons, but encourages chaps, holsters, and tinfoil badges for earning street cred among other patrons.
- 20-yard, 14-lane climate-controlled gun and archery range
- HEPA filtration system exchanges 12,000 cubic feet of air per minute
- Action Target Rapid Rail with push-button or mind-controlled target retrieval
- Action Target Backstop handles all ammo calibers
- Nearly 40 firearm rentals from manufacturers such as Glock, Smith & Wesson, and STI International
- Calibers such as 9 millimeter, .357, and .45 ACP
At a Glance
Spanning 30,000 square feet, Heartland Outdoors houses a gun and archery range beside a full-service pro shop. There, staff members advise marksmen on equipment and clothing from brands such as Winchester and Mossy Oak. They also lead armed defense classes, imparting their expertise as NRA-certified instructors.