During lessons, participants learn methods of mixing, how to measure dry and liquid ingredients, and how to work safely in the kitchen
All reviews are from people who have redeemed deals with this merchant.
What You'll Get
- Seven-Week Culinary or Pastry Arts Lesson Series for One Person
- Seven-Week Culinary or Pastry Arts Lesson Series for Two People
- Seven-Week Culinary or Pastry Arts Lesson Series for Four People
- Seven-Week Culinary or Pastry Arts Lesson Series for Six People
The Culinary Lesson Series is a 7-week course for 4-6 students at a time. Each day students go over basic and essential topics, get hands on experience and some ‘homework’ to do over the week. Culinary Lessons are held once a week for two hours. This program also includes participation in an all-day Culinary Arts Showcase event, where students will plan, prep and prepare what they have learned. Cost of the program includes all supplies, seven lessons with trained chefs, a knife, a cutting board, a guidebook with tips and tricks as well as culinary resources and recipes and all ingredients. In the culinary program, over seven weeks, tutors will walk through the basics of cooking. Every day they tackle an essential cooking topic and explain what one should know. The child will work closely with a chef, learning how to safely handle knives and small kitchen appliances, master the basics of measuring, prepping and other kitchens tasks, and become adept at choosing appropriate recipes and ingredients. Chefs focus on understanding the hows and whys of making healthful choices, embracing organization, nutrition and improvisation in the kitchen, and getting hands on experience with classic dishes.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires 120 days after purchase. Amount paid never expires. Online registration required. Valid for either Culinary or Pastry Arts, not both. Valid only for ages 7-13. Limit 1 per person, may buy 1 additional as gift(s). May be repurchased every 180 days. Limit 1 per visit. Valid only for option purchased. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
About Turnip the Beet
Turnip the Beet gives kids a chance to run the kitchen for once—without the cleanup that would endanger such endeavors at home. In hands-on courses designed for ages 3–16, friendly chef-instructors help children explore cooking, nutrition, and the joys of food in a fully outfitted kitchen studio. Students have fun socializing with peers, experience pride in their creations, and travel a path toward self-sufficiency.
- Culinary Arts Lessons: These seven-week courses meet once a week for two hours. About 4–6 kids progress through the basics, such as safely handling knives and appliances, to begin learning recipes and how ingredients interact.
- Pastry Lessons: These seven-week courses also meet once a week for two hours. About 4 students practice fundamental baking techniques and learn the science behind rising dough, gluten structures, and the many uses of eggs. Topics include classic French pastries, bread making, and cake decorating.
- Group Classes: These one-off classes generally last about two hours. They range from culinary basics, such as the chef classics and Poultry 101, to more specialized lessons, like from-scratch pasta making, farm-to-table produce, and sushi prep.
Turnip the Beet has also developed themed summer camps, family cooking classes, and parents' nights out, during which kids watch a movie and make a meal while their parents enjoy themselves elsewhere.