From Our Editors
Five Things to Know About Monica’s Waterfront Bakery and Cafe
Wife-and-husband duo Monica and Mark Downen think of their staff as a family. So it makes sense, then, that all the food at Monica’s Waterfront Bakery and Cafe is made entirely from scratch, with the same level of care you expect from a family meal. Read on to learn more about this bakery that puts hospitality first:
- Most of its ingredients come from local farms. In fact, much of the produce comes from Paul Gregory of Gregory Farms, just a few miles down the road from the café. He provides kale, onions, carrots, cucumbers, and sour cherries, among other fresh-picked items.
- The menu includes sandwiches, wraps, and quiches. The popular quiches combine chicken or duck eggs with ingredients such as crab, asparagus, and mozzarella.
- It’s a great spot to celebrate a birthday. Customers receive a free meal on their special day, according to the Kitsap Sun.
- Monica’s purchases carbon offsets for all the resources it uses. This comes in addition to an environmentally conscious regimen of composting, recycling, and using efficient light bulbs.
- It’s a veteran-owned business.