Choose from Six Options
- $45 for The Cake Shop baking class for one ($145 value)
- $75 for The Cake Shop baking class for two ($250 value)
- $45 for Donut Making class for one ($95 value)
- $75 for Donut Making class for two ($180 value)
- $45 for Seasonality Series Baking class for one ($95 value)
- $75 for Seasonality Series Baking class for two ($180 value)
- Learn more about the classes here.
”####Ganache: Chocolate Soup
If you’ve ever seen a chocolate cake coated in a soft, shiny chocolate shell, you’ve seen the beauty of ganache for yourself. Read on to learn more about this smooth treat.
The simplest ganache is comprised of finely chopped chocolate melted into heavy cream heated to a boil. Chocolatiers often add other ingredients, however, such as butter—which also helps make it shiny—or fruit for a more potent flavor. While it’s still warm, ganache can be poured over pastries and allowed to cool into a flawless shell to protect the cake from hungry children. If allowed to cool before use, however, ganache becomes a spreadable frosting or cake filling or a sweet foundation for truffles. Whatever the form, the rich chocolate treat ups both the elegance and richness of many sorts of desserts.
- It’s not clear how ganache was invented, but most texts pin it on 1850s Switzerland or a Parisian patisserie.
- Ganache can be made with milk, dark, or white chocolate.
- Advanced chocolatiers mix up their ratios of chocolate to cream to create different textures in their ganaches—for instance, more chocolate is easier to form into truffles, whereas more cream makes for better frosting.”