Choose Between Two Options
$59 for a modern Asian dinner for two ($100 value)
- One starter (up to $12 value)
- One specialty roll (up to $19 value)
- One item from the “hot” or “cold” sections of the menu (up to $22 value)
- One robata dish (up to $15 value)
- Two beers or specialty cocktails (up to $16 value each)
$119 for a modern Asian dinner for four ($200 value)
- Two starters (up to $12 value each)
- Two specialty rolls (up to $19 value each)
- Two from the “hot” or “cold” sections of the menu (up to $22 value each)
- Two robata dishes (up to $15 value each)
- Four beers or specialty cocktails (up to $16 each)
See the full menu.
Top Chef Season 3 winner Hung Huynh takes familiar dishes in new directions at The General, his modern Asian restaurant in the Bowery. Chef Huynh's eclectic, imaginative thinking pervades the entirety of the restaurant, which seamlessly combines ornate fine-dining sections, casual sidewalk seating, and a performance space dedicated to live jazz. Above all else, The General strives to provide guests with a refined interpretation of Asian classics from sushi rolls to szechuan chicken.
From the Kitchen of a Top Chef
"I don't want to do just plain Chinese or Vietnamese and pigeonhole myself. I'm very open to new and diverse flavors," Chef Huynh told Serious Eats in 2013. "And we're in America, why not?"
"Why not?" could almost double as a slogan for the menu. Under Chef Huynh's guidance, the team takes a modern approach when preparing pan-Asian items, occasionally adding unexpected, yet complementary, ingredients to intertwine Eastern and Western flavors.
|The General specialty roll||Chinese chicken tacos|
|Lobster, seared salmon, and truffle-honey miso deftly balance sweet and savory flavors||Fillings of avocado, bell pepper, and sweet chili showcase the tacos' international influences|
|Chargrilled corn cob||Edamame|
|Chives and kabayaki butter flavor this classic cooked over the white charcoal of a robata grill||Wasabi salt or spicy garlic can add an extra bit of kick to this perennial classic|
From the Press
- "The General...is home to a new kind of laid-back nightlife — restaurant, cocktail lounge and bakery all in one."—Daily News
- "The Sticky Coconut Cake, which comes with coconut water sorbet, is a perfect dessert to end a meal—it's light, refreshing, and palate-cleansing."—New York Magazine
- "Equally as impressive as the menu is the dramatic dining space, designed by ICRAVE studio, which combines seemingly disparate elements—vintage fans, marble surfaces and exposed wooden beams—into a cohesive and engaging meal setting."—Gothamist