Hotel at a Glance: Oglebay Resort & Conference Center
Established as the summer home of businessman Earl W. Oglebay in the early 1900s, Oglebay Resort & Conference Center has grown into a year-round vacation destination for all types of travelers. Couples can ride horseback on trails traversing the 1,700-acre property. For families, there’s a zoo with more than 50 types of animals.
- Where you’ll stay: Traditional and intermediate rooms in the hilltop Wilson Lodge feature LCD TVs and rich wood decor. Choose a premium room for a fireplace and balcony.
- Onsite dining: Enjoy a maple-smoked porterhouse at the lakefront Ihlenfeld Dining Room or sample casual fare such as queso made with West Virginia craft beer at GlassWorks Grill.
- Get pampered with a custom body wrap made with organic skincare products at the onsite spa.
- Tee off: There are four golf courses onsite, including one designed by Robert Trent Jones Sr. and another designed by Arnold Palmer. Golf courses close on October 30.
- Relax in the indoor pool, hot tub, or sauna.
Wheeling, West Virginia: Entertainment Hub Outside Pittsburgh
Wheeling is located about an hour’s drive from Pittsburgh, but it’s a tourist destination in its own right. At Wheeling Island casino, you can try your luck at table games and 1,400 slot machines and bet on greyhound racing. For family-friendly entertainment, there’s Wheeling Park. It offers indoor tennis courts with lessons available and an ice-skating rink that’s open from October to March. A number of venues in town cater to lovers of the arts; Wheeling Heritage Port hosts live music in the warm months, and the Capitol Theatre stages musicals and hosts concerts ranging from classical to rock.