Top Reasons to Visit Metropolis Resort
- Chaos Indoor Water Park resembles a comic-book metropolis with painted cityscapes and soaring biplanes. The 35,000-square-foot facility features two superfast four-story water slides, one giant kiddie slide and a lazy river meandering past waterfalls. Options two and three of this getaway include four passes.
- Visit Action City arcade to play laser tag, climb a rock wall, practice your swing in the batting cages, tee off on a mini golf course, and zoom around one of the biggest indoor go-kart tracks in the Midwest.
- Swanky art-deco touches can be found throughout the resort, from the sleek exterior to the bold black-and-white color scheme in the guest rooms.
- Each morning, fuel up with a continental breakfast of yogurt, oatmeal, baked goods, coffee, milk, and juice.
- At the family-friendly Monkey in the Middle, chefs make pizzas from scratch. Brave patrons can take on the daunting 30-inch Gorilla pizza.
- The Pub serves up burgers, salads, wraps, pancakes, omelets, and signature Monkey Bread. There are big-screen TVs for watching the game, as well as poker games and a photo booth.
Eau Claire, Wisconsin: Former Timber Town in the Northwoods
Eau Claire lies 90 miles east of Minneapolis in the Northwoods region of Wisconsin, a heavily forested area once known for its thriving timber industry. Today, the lumberjacks have been replaced by hikers and mountain bikers.
Carson Park, located in the heart of town, is a popular spot for jogging along footpaths, playing baseball in the shadow of a Hank Aaron statue (he once played for the Eau Claire Bears), and watching the sunset over Braun’s Bay. Just past the ball fields, you’ll find the Chippewa Valley Museum, where you can see rotating exhibits about the region’s indigenous tribes, European settlers, and timber boom. A classic ice-cream parlor nearby serves sundaes and malts.
Downtown, you can catch a show at the State Theatre, where the offerings include musicals, jazz acts, and standup comedy. While you’re in the city, you’ll also want to try out some fried cheese curds, stroll through the downtown farmers’ market, or watch roller-derby games at the Eau Claire Indoor Sports Center.