You’re viewing a property from our Premium Collection, a selection of top properties that are guaranteed to have a rating of 4 stars or higher.
Inn at a Glance: Vagabond’s House Inn
From its opening in the late 1920s, this 4-star inn has been a place of inspiration for artists and authors staying in Carmel. It’s named after the work of one such guest: Don Blanding, writer of Vagabond’s House, a collection of poetry. That artistic spirit still runs through the property today thanks to the local painters and photographers who display their work in the guest rooms.
- Local vinos and cheeses are served daily in the lobby from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m., and there’s sherry in each room.
- Wine package: One option gives duos tastings at five wineries, a bottle of premium California wine, and two $60 spa vouchers
- Wine-and-spa package: Another option gives duos one-hour tandem (couples) messages along with a bottle of wine and tastings.
- Included breakfast: Housemade croissants and jam are served with local fruit.
- Private oasis: Individually decorated rooms have features such as fireplaces and heated marble floors.
- Gourmet coffee: Beans roasted fresh weekly go into espressos and macchiatos brewed at the touch of a button.
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California: Bohemian Outpost with Boutiquess and Wineries
The brilliant blue waters of the Pacific and the electric green of verdant meadows saturate Carmel-by-the-Sea, which hugs the rocky coastline a couple hours south of San Francisco. Once an outpost for bohemian types such as Jack London, the 1-square-mile town remains true to its roots as a traditional English village: streetlights and numbered addresses are nonexistent. An influx of European-bistro-style restaurants, valley vineyards, and boutiques have joined the mix. In addition to the town’s live theater and 40 art galleries, the area boasts a wealth of outdoor activities, including world-class golfing at Pebble Beach and whale watching and kayaking in the Pacific.