Virtually nothing can defeat the raw power of rock music, with the possible exception of paper music. Pump your fist with this GrouponLive deal.
- $15 for two general-admission tickets to see Judas Priestess (up to $22.68 value)
- When: Saturday, May 30, at 7 p.m.
- Where: Blackthorn 51
- Door time: 6 p.m.
- Ticket values include all fees.
- What you probably already guessed: they're an all-female Judas Priest tribute
- What you probably didn't guess: they have the blessings of the Metal Gods themselves—Rob Halford, KK Downing, and Al Atkins
- What lead singer MilitiA sounds like: a cross between Rob Halford and Tina Turner
- Where you may have seen her: fronting Dee Snider's heavy-metal horror orchestra, Van Helsing's Curse; touring with Jesus Christ Superstar; performing with Cyndi Lauper; on the subway, maybe
- Joining her: Rena Sands, guitarist of Meanstreak and wife of Dream Theater guitarist John Petrucci
- And: Josette, who began rocking as a teenager in the Eric Carr–produced band Hari-Kari
- And: bassist Gyda Gash, whose career intersects Blue Oyster Cult, the Sex Pistols, and David Bowie
- And: drummer Hillary Blaze who shared the stage with Alice Cooper, Twisted Sister, Sevendust, and Skid Row
- Their signature Priest songs: "Deep Freeze," "Grinder," and "Victim of Changes"—the last of which was called "fantastic" by the song's writer, Al Atkins
Blackthorn 51 brings the noise with heavy-metal, hip-hop, and hard-rock concerts every weekend. The sequel to the original Blackthorn in the Bronx, the venue boasts a bone-rattling PA system, an outdoor patio for between-set UFO spotting, and a lineup of such acts as Tracii Guns, Suffocation, and Bullet Boys.