Smooth jazz is the sound of sophistication, unlike rough jazz, which is the sound of Louis Armstrong blasting chili out of his trumpet. Lend your ear to upscale scales with this GrouponLive deal.
- $10 to see George Benson with the Detroit Symphony Orchestra: “Inspiration: A Tribute to Nat King Cole" (up to a $20.35 value)
- When: Thursday, June 27, at 8 p.m.
- Where: Meadow Brook Music Festival
- Section: general-admission lawn
- Door time: 6:30 p.m.
- Ticket values include all fees.
- Click here to view the seating chart.
- 10: the number of Grammy awards bestowed to George Benson
- 10: also the age George recorded his first single
- Other notable acclaim: star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, NEA Jazz Masters Fellowship (the highest national honor for jazz artists)
- George Benson hit that has more strut than its namesake: "On Broadway"
- Hit that proves jazz geniuses can out-funk Rick James: "Give Me the Night"
- Hit that hits in the heart...and it hurts: "This Masquerade"
- George recorded the first version of "The Greatest Love of All," later made famous by Whitney Houston
- Latest George Benson album that sets the scene for romance better than a thousand dedicated cherubs: Inspiration: A Tribute to Nat King Cole
- Notable Jazz giants on the new album: Wynton Marsalis, Idina Menzel
- Nat King Cole classics you're likely to hear by George and the DSO: "Nature Boy," "Route 66," "Just One of Those Things," "Mona Lisa"
- Zero: the number of air particles unmoved when Benson and the DSO join forces