Choose from Three Options
- $22 for a three-course prix fixe bistro dinner for two ($44 value)
- $40 for a three-course prix fixe bistro dinner for four ($88 value)
- $11 for $22 worth of bistro cuisine for lunch; see the lunch menu
Prix-fixe dinner menus change weekly. Each diner receives the following:
- One starter, such as mixed ceviche with sour orange
- One entree, such as roast chicken with Oaxacan mole and yucca
- One dessert, such as chocolate cake with brownie cookies
Click here for a list of valid dates.
The Backstage Bistro
Housed inside the Illinois Institute of Art, The Backstage Bistro is unique in its all-inclusive approach to food from around the world. But its staff, comprised entirely of students from the school's culinary-arts program, is just as unique. As the final step of their education, students embark on an 11-week program during which they rotate through all the restaurant's positions, from front-of-house duties to the kitchen. Some students design and implement menus that change weekly, focusing on a chosen theme or culinary region. Others may ferry dishes to and from the dining room or unmask pairs of children disguised as one adult food critic in a trench coat. In the dining room, guests can take a peek at the kitchen's activity through glass walls as they enjoy lunch or prix fixe dinners. The restaurant's adventurous food and unique approach have also earned it appreciation from top chefs, including Rachael Ray, who filmed there for the Food Network show $40 a Day.
180 N Wabash Ave.
Chicago, IL 60601