There are few freedoms as liberating as being able to fly, which is why humans spent millennia inventing the airplane and why penguins are so very, very bitter. Exceed evolutionary shortcomings with today’s Groupon to The Flight School, located at the Weiser Air Park in Cypress. Choose from the following options:
- For $59, you get an extended discovery-flight session for one flyer (a $120 total value). Discovery flights include:
- One hour of flight and ground instruction (a $42 value)
- Approximately 40 minutes of flight time (a $78 value including fuel and plane-rental fee)
- For $149, you get a three-hour package for private-pilot training (a $304.80 total value). The package includes the following:
- Three hours of flight and ground instruction (a $126 value)
- Training in an FAA–approved simulator (a $72 value)
- Approximately 50 minutes of flight time (an $88.80 value including fuel and plane-rental fee)
- Pilot’s logbook to log 1.3 flight hours toward pilot’s license (a $15 value)
- A headset rental (a $3 value)<p>
The Flight School’s experienced, FAA–certified flight instructors guide aspiring pilots through thrilling aerial explorations and successful check rides aboard one of eight aircrafts. During an introductory discovery flight, students undertake a sky-high primer and take over the flight controls to direct turns, pull off climbs, and sky-write holiday wish lists to waiting family members. Winged vessels undulate softly, like the vibrato of an alpine yodeler, as hovering passengers peep over the sprawling lines and sparkling lights of Houston from the northwest. While one neophyte pilot takes the aviation reins, up to two passengers can partake in the high-altitude views and offer braking advice from the vehicle’s back seat.
The three-hour pilot-training package shepherds pupils through the next flight hour on their quest toward pilot certification. A ground-school course establishes flying foundations, and a session with an Elite brand, FAA–approved flight simulator provides practice reading instruments, handling multiple control panels, and dodging wayward helium balloons. After taking to the air, pilots-to-be record 1.3 hours of flight time in the provided pilot’s logbook, counting down toward the 40 hours required for a license. The ground-school, simulator, and flight portions of the package can be completed at different times or simultaneously during fissures in space-time.
The Flight School
A 2012 Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association's Outstanding Flight School, The Flight School's FAA-certified instructors propel aspiring pilots toward their aviation goals, starting students off on their paths to becoming jet-flying professionals or recreational pilots with complete mastery of the fundamentals. In addition to explaining theory during ground instruction and using an FAA-certified PI-135 flight simulator to safely begin developing the necessary in-flight skills, the instructors take students airborne for hands-on practice. The rental fleet boasts nine aircraft, including a Cessna 172, a Piper Arrow, and a twin-engine flying carpet.