Choose Between Two Options
- $17 for admission for four (up to a $34 value)
- $44 for admission for four and adoption of any habitat (up to an $84 value)
For the habitat adoption, patrons can pick their favorite sea creatures and make a donation of up to $50 to help finance the vital maintenance of the animals' habitat. Valid for one year, adoption includes the following benefits:
- Laminated adoption certificate
- Packet with information on your selected habitat
- Regular email updates on the habitat
- A toy and keepsake relevant to your habitat
- Half off the cost of feeding the creatures in your chosen habitat, provided you meet the height requirement and do so during the designated times
It would take months of sea travel, extensive scuba certifications, and fluency in several crustacean dialects to find—let alone interact with—all the creatures found in Ocean Explorium's interactive exhibits. The science center emphasizes environmental stewardship and scientific literacy through several educational habitats such as touch tanks of local aquatic wildlife—including New Bedford's world-famous scallops and schools of rays and sharks. The Living Laboratory exhibit brings visitors face to face with sea creatures such as baby sharks, shark egg cases, coral farm, and moon jellies. Beyond the up-close encounters with denizens of the deep, Ocean Explorium also enlightens patrons with a variety of non-living displays. The Explorer's Zone presents scientific experiments that reveal the workings of the natural world through hands-on exhibits themed around different weekly topics, and Discovery Bay enthralls children aged eight or younger with games, puzzles, and a sand and water table. Advanced computers construct a three-dimensional image of our home planet as it appears from outer space in the Science on a Sphere exhibit, displaying global weather patterns in real time or replaying natural phenomena from history, such as the time it rained men.
The staff is terrific, they are there to make the place enjoyable for everyone.Dawn L, TripAdvisor, 7/30/12
174 Union St.
New Bedford, Massachusetts 02740