What You'll Get
- $29 for one ticket to a Cuban music concert, including a Cuban dinner (up to $69 value)
- Dinner includes roasted chicken, rice and beans, and plantains
- Where: Drom
- Seating: best available at the time of reservation
- Door time: 15 minutes before showtime
- Ticket values include all fees.
- Elio Villafranca Quintet, with a tribute to Buena Vista Social Club plus original music, on Sunday, October 5, at 5:30 p.m. or 8 p.m.
- Special Tribute to Buena Vista Social Club with Pepito Gomez on Friday, October 10, at 6 p.m. or 8:30 p.m.
Elio Villafranca Quintet
- How you know the Cuban pianist: he was nominated for a 2010 Grammy Award for his co-production, composition, and performance on Chembo Corniel’s Things I Wanted To Do
- What he’ll be performing: a tribute to the Buena Vista Social Club, along with his Afro-Caribbean jazz originals
- Why does his piano say “Steinway”?: the company was so impressed with Elio’s skills that it chose him as its official representative
- How the Philadelphia Tribune describes his musical style: “…an expressive, emotional quality enhanced by his technically brilliant approach to the keyboard and his rhythmically complex original compositions..”
- Where that musical style has taken him: around the world, as well as into the company of Wynton Marsalis
- His latest project: Elio Villafranca & The Jass Syncopators, a fused homage to Duke Ellington and Afro-Caribbean musical traditions
Special Tribute to Buena Vista Social Club with Pepito Gomez
- Why Gomez deserves to have a whole sextet named after him: He’s a world-traveling Cuban singer praised by the New York Times for a voice they’ve described as “a beneficent alarm, a positive shout.”
- What else the Times has said about him: He’s “another order of performer” who makes his “band members look at one another in astonishment and play harder.”
- Other famous Cuban groups he’s graced: Guasabara, Pupy y los que Son Son
- Who the sextet will be paying tribute to at this concert: the Buena Vista Social Club
- Why they might be inclined to do that (besides the universal appeal of the Club’s golden-age Cuban tunes): Member Omara Portuondo is a high-profile fan of Gomez’s pipes
About Direct From Cuba Entertainment
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Oct 10, 2014. Limit 10 per person. Valid only for option purchased. Reservation required. Redeem starting 10/5 or 10/10, depending on option purchased, for a ticket at venue box office. Must show valid ID matching name on Groupon at Drom. Refundable only on day of purchase. Must redeem together to sit together. Discount reflects Direct From Cuba Entertainment's current ticket prices-price may differ on day of the event. Doors open 15 minutes before showtime. For ADA seating, call box office promptly upon receipt of voucher - availability is limited. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.