What You'll Get
Folk wisdom about looking a gift horse in the mouth is obsolete, now that horses are no longer bred to belch blinding ammonia. Enjoy improved equine exhalations with this deal.
- Race-day package for a weekend meet
- When: any Saturday or Sunday meet between Saturday, October 12, and Sunday, December 15 (excluding November 2 and 30); see the schedule
- Where: Hawthorne Race Course
- Seating: general admission<p>
- $32 for a race-day package for one (up to a $70 value)
- $60 for a race-day package for two (up to a $140 value)
- $116 for a race-day package for four (up to a $280 value)<p>
Per person, each race-day package includes:
- On Saturdays: a Gold Cup buffet package, which includes admission into the venue and a live racing program
- On Sundays: a $25 gift certificate valid toward food and drink, first-floor box seats, and a live racing program (up to a $40 value)
- Winner’s circle photo (a $20 value)
- $10 wagering coupon<p>
The Scouting Report
Following the annual summer break, live competition has once again returned to Hawthorne Race Course for a full slate of fall meets. Over the next two months, the historic venue will stir to life during a number of high-stakes events. On October 26, for instance, the Illini Princess Handicap gallops onto the track as horses aged 3 and up scramble for $100,000 worth of prizes. Two weeks later, the Showtime Deb Stakes and The Sun Power Stakes dangle equally robust purses above competitors during a double-header of six-furlong races. Attendees can pursue their own prizes by placing $10 wagering coupons on their favorite horses or place additional bets using the racecourse’s easy-to-follow [instructions](http://gr.pn/GJ8HcX, rather than donning a centaur costume and trying to win the race themselves.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Dec 15, 2013. Limit 4 per person. Valid only for option purchased. Redeem starting day of choice for a ticket at the Guest Services desk at the venue entrance. Must show valid ID matching name provided at check-out at Hawthorne Race Course. Refundable only on day of purchase. Discount reflects Hawthorne Race Course's current ticket prices-price may differ on day of the event. For ADA accommodations, call box office promptly upon receipt of voucher - availability is limited. Not valid 11/2, 11/28, or 11/30. $10 wager coupon requires a new, free Club Hawthorne sign-up. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
About Hawthorne Race Course
On May 20, 1891, an estimated 6,000 people attended the first-ever Opening Day at Hawthorne Race Course in Stickney, Illinois. The event featured the Chicago Derby—a quarter-mile race won by a horse named Brookwood. Since that day, the family-owned facility—celebrating over 125 years in business—has thrilled Chicago-area racing fans season after season with live competition and full-card simulcasting. The track hosts standardbred harness racing in January and the summer months, while thoroughbred racing dominates the rest of the year. But it hasn't always been easy. In 1905, for instance, racing was banned in Chicago for more than 15 years after several of the facility's horses became mired in a political scandal. And Hawthorne Race Course itself has had to overcome its fair share of adversity, including two fires, but continues to enthrall thousands of fans each year.