What You'll Get
Museums bring history alive, like a skeleton found underneath your house. Explore the natural world with this Groupon.
Choose from Four Options
- $35 for a one-year Individual Plus+ membership (a $75 value)
- $45 for a one-year Dual Plus+ membership for two adults (a $95 value)
- $50 for a one-year Family Plus+ membership for two adults and up to four children age 17 or younger (a $110 value)
- $90 for a one-year Patron Family membership for two adults and up to four children age 17 or younger (a $210 value)<p>
All four options include the following membership benefits:
- Unlimited admission for one year to the Page Museum at the La Brea Tar Pits, the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, and the William S. Hart Museum
- Transferable member card good for any individual at any time; no need to identify them on member account
- Complimentary admission to the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County’s seasonal butterfly and spider pavilions
- Early access to new exhibits
- 10% discount on merchandise from the museum store and online
- Free subscription to The Naturalist and other museum publications
- Discounts on classes, camps, and field trips
- Invitations to members-only special events<p>
Plus+ memberships include a transferrable Plus+ member card that can be used for any individual not listed on the membership account. The Patron Family membership includes all family membership privileges, plus a reciprocal membership at more than 300 participating museums, four guest passes, and free admission to Scavenger’s Safari tours.<p>
Page Museum membership conveys all the benefits of membership to the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County; this Groupon cannot be combined with other recently purchased memberships to the NHM.<p>
Page Museum at the La Brea Tar Pits
The Rancho La Brea Tar Pits are a playground of time. From their sticky, still-bubbling depths rises the past, which scientists at the Page Museum display for the present and preserve for the future. In fact, over the last century, these scholars have excavated more than one million bones, building a catalog of roughly 650 species that stretches back more than 50,000 years. And these animals paint a picture of what Los Angeles and the rest of the US looked like then: mammoths, giant ground sloths, and saber-toothed cats surviving off each other and a dense thicket of vegetation.
The Page Museum brings this time to life while keeping visitors grounded in the present. Even before reaching the museum proper, the Lake Pit presents an image of how the exhibits inside got there: a life-sized, fiberglass mammoth statue sinking into a lake of asphalt. That scene explains both why the skeletons in the exhibits are so impeccably preserved, why they hold a slightly brownish tint, and why many of them have fossilized swimsuits stuck to their torsos. The Pleistocene Garden, meanwhile, recreates the native flora of the Los Angeles Basin as it would have appeared from 10,000 to 40,000 years ago, letting guests better understand the animals’ habitats.
Yet to keep guests from believing they’re stuck in the past, the Page Museum pulls back the curtain on the fossils’ origins. Multiple active excavation pits allow glimpses into their murky depths as crews search for, and regularly find, traces of animals. Then, inside, the paleontological process unfolds at The Fishbowl, a glass-walled laboratory where scientists clean, study, and prepare fossils seven days a week.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Nov 21, 2013. Amount paid never expires. Limit 1 per person, may purchase 1 additional as a gift. Not valid for redemption on 6/9/13. Voucher cannot be combined with another Groupon voucher or with any other offers. Must activate at Page Museum only by voucher expiration date; membership expires 12 months after activation. Membership benefits must be used by the same person(s) identified on the membership account. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.