All reviews are from people who have redeemed deals with this merchant.
· Reviewed April 24, 2017
· Reviewed April 22, 2017
What You'll Get
Choose from Six Options
Visit to the Artisan Chocolate and Wine Festival:
- $30 for admission for two on Saturday ($70 value)
- $30 for admission for two on Sunday ($70 value)
- $30 for admission for two on Monday ($70 value)
- $55 for admission for four on Saturday ($140 value)
- $55 for admission for four on Sunday ($140 value)
- $55 for admission for four on Monday ($140 value)
The festival is held at Winnetka Community House on October 11–13 from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Saturday, noon to 8 p.m. on Sunday, and 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Monday. Visitors can sample chocolates from chocolatiers such as Amano and David Bacco. They can pair these bites with sips of wine from local vineyards including Europvin and Lustau.
Ganache: Chocolate Soup
If you’ve ever seen a chocolate cake coated in a soft, shiny chocolate shell, you’ve seen the beauty of ganache for yourself. Read on to learn more about this smooth treat.
The simplest ganache is comprised of finely chopped chocolate melted into heavy cream heated to a boil. Chocolatiers often add other ingredients, however, such as butter—which also helps make it shiny—or fruit for a more potent flavor. While it’s still warm, ganache can be poured over pastries and allowed to cool into a flawless shell to protect the cake from hungry children. If allowed to cool before use, however, ganache becomes a spreadable frosting or cake filling or a sweet foundation for truffles. Whatever the form, the rich chocolate treat ups both the elegance and richness of many sorts of desserts.
- It’s not clear how ganache was invented, but most texts pin it on 1850s Switzerland or a Parisian patisserie.
- Ganache can be made with milk, dark, or white chocolate.
- Advanced chocolatiers mix up their ratios of chocolate to cream to create different textures in their ganaches—for instance, more chocolate is easier to form into truffles, whereas more cream makes for better frosting.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Oct 13, 2014. Amount paid never expires. Limit 1 per person, may buy 1 additional as gift. Valid only for option purchased. Must redeem ticket at will call. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.