- $32 for one ticket to Tangos & Transfiguration (up to $47.57 value)
- When: Saturday, December 13, at 7 p.m.
- Where: Merkin Concert Hall
- Seating: prime (best available)
- Door time: 6:30 p.m.
- Full offer value includes ticketing fees
- Click here to view the seating chart
Strings are the star of Tangos & Transfiguration, which highlights the dramatic, poetic, and surreal themes in 19th- and 20th-century masterpieces. Marlon Daniel conducts the chamber orchestra, and cellist Derek Louie, the winner of the Ensemble du Monde Young Artist Concerto Competition, joins the musicians for Tchaikovsky’s Rococo Variations.
- Piazzolla—Libertango: With a title blending “libertad” (liberty) and “Tango,” this 1974 composition represents its composer’s shift from Classical Tango to Tango Nuevo.
- Elgar—Serenade in E Minor: Also known as Serenade for Strings, this three-part piece has become one of Elgar’s most frequently performed works since its 1892 debut.
- Tchaikovsky—Rococo Variations: Of the composer’s creation for cello and orchestra, AllMusic.com wrote that it “plumbs the depths and streaks to the heights of the capabilities of what is arguably the most beautiful and wide ranging of the stringed instruments of the orchestra.”
- Schönberg—Verklärte Nacht: The story of the inspiration behind Schönberg’s piece is nothing short of magical—upon reading Richard Dehmel’s poem of the same name, Transfigured Night, and meeting the woman he would later marry, the composer wrote this string sextet in a mere three weeks.
- Piazzolla—Fuga y Misterio: This complex, staccato fugue was featured in Piazzolla’s goblin- and marionette-filled opera Maria de Buenos Aires.
Ensemble Du Monde
True to its name, Ensemble Du Monde celebrates the talents of musicians hailing from all over the world. And the chamber orchestra's repertoire is just as all-encompassing—concerts include pieces ranging from Baroque-era favorites to contemporary gems, with lesser-known and premiere works constantly feeding ears with delicious new sounds. That expansive selection has earned the ensemble performances at a wide variety of venues, including Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall, and at a live taping of Nickelodeon's Wonder Pets. Ensemble Du Monde also sponsors a Young Artists Concerto Competition to encourage the next generation of musical masters.