Nothing can match the thrill of seeing a concert in person, not even watching it on high-definition Blu-ray or listening to it on a high-definition parrot. Get out of your cage with this GrouponLive deal: for $50, you get $100 worth of theater tickets to Christopher Newport University's Ferguson Center for the Arts, valid through December 11. This deal is good for seating in zones two or three and can be applied toward the following performances:
- Royal Drummers and Dancers of Burundi on Thursday, October 4, at 7 p.m.
- Live at Birdland featuring The Birdland Big Band directed by Tommy Igoe on Sunday, October 7, at 7 p.m.
- Liza Minnelli on Friday, October 12, at 8 p.m.
- National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba on Tuesday, October 30, at 7:30 p.m.
- GlamourTango on Sunday, November 4, at 7 p.m.
- The National Circus of the People’s Republic of China on Sunday, November 11, at 3 p.m. or 7 p.m.
- Spirituals to Funk starring Dr. John and The Blind Boys of Alabama on Monday, November 12, at 7:30 p.m.
- A Christmas Carol on Tuesday, November 27, at 7:30 p.m.
- Christmas with Sandi Patty on Monday, December 3, at 7:30 p.m.
- The Sound of Christmas with Empire Brass and Elisabeth Von Trapp on Tuesday, December 11, at 7:30 p.m.
For its eighth season, the Ferguson Center for the Arts brings some of the globe’s most exciting entertainment to Newport News, offering audiences of every ilk boundless thrills and holiday classics to cap off 2012. In October, the joyous Royal Drummers and Dancers of Burundi ($22+) entice with traditional and sacred African music played with heart-pounding fervor on 20 drums, and Liza Minnelli ($67+) teaches a master class in showmanship in a dynamic performance packed with the hits, charisma, and iconic voice that earned her four Tony Awards, an Oscar, two Golden Globes, and an Emmy. During its mid-November visit the National Circus of the People’s Republic of China ($22+) defies gravity in a performance of Cirque Chinois, laden with flying trapeze acts, contortions, and gasp-inducing acts of balance. Filling the Ferguson Center with holiday cheer, December makes way for a colorful musical staging of A Christmas Carol ($27+) and The Sound of Christmas with Empire Brass and Elisabeth Von Trapp ($22+), featuring the Yuletide hits and medleys from The Sound of Music.
The elegant, 1,700-seat Ferguson Center aims to make all guests comfortable with a full repertoire of accommodations, including wheelchair-accessible seating zones and services for the hearing and visually impaired. To foster artistic growth throughout the community, the venue also provides tickets to children and families of at-risk communities through its Arts for All program.