Choose from Two Options and Seven Dates
- $19 for a guided tour and train ride for two ($40 value)
Visitors get to take a tour of the rail yard and other sites, climbing aboard trains from the turn of the century. A train ride showcases the power of the engines.
This Groupon is valid on the following dates:
- March 26
- April 16
- May 21
- June 18
- August 27
- September 24
- $249 for Run a Locomotive for one hour ($365 value)
This option is available for spring, summer, and fall.
Midwest Railway Preservation Society
While most of Cleveland gets from point A to point B via automobile, the spirit of the locomotive is alive and well at Midwest Railway Preservation Society. A historical rail yard and the restored B&O Roundhouse serves as home base for the group's efforts, which includes restoring trains and educating the public at large. Here's some of what to expect once you cross to their side of the tracks.
- Eye Catcher: the bright red caboose at the entrance, which stands in contrast to the industrial complex's dark steel buildings
- Crown Jewels: restored passenger cars, steam locomotives, and a B&O boxcar, the showpiece of the rail yard
- Pro Tip: you might recognize the 1918 Locomotive 4070 steam engine—currently being restored—from its appearance in the 1984 Robert Redford film The Natural
- Special Programs: train rides and seasonal events throughout the year, including tours of a haunted train car in October
- Leave Your Mark: the society seeks volunteers to help out in the restoration of vintage locomotives and other pieces, no special experience necessary