13-Day Guided Tour of Turkey
This tour includes:
- Round-trip flights from New York City to Istanbul; other departure cities available
- Airline taxes and fuel surcharges
- 11 nights' first-class accommodations
- 3 nights in Istanbul
- 1 night in Çanakkale
- 2 nights in Izmir
- 2 nights in Antalya
- 2 nights in Cappadocia
- 1 night in Ankara
- Hotel porterage
- All transfers
- 21 meals: 11 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 9 dinners
- Sightseeing per itinerary in modern air-conditioned motorcoach
- Services of English-speaking tour manager throughout
- Entrance fees per itinerary
Days 1–3: United States and Istanbul
Your Turkish getaway begins on day 2 in Istanbul, which bridges the continents of Europe and Asia. On a half-day introductory tour, you'll see the famous Blue Mosque, named so because of its blue tiled interior, as well as the Hippodrome, where athletes once raced chariots, and the Hagia Sophia, a cathedral-turned-mosque-turned-museum built in the sixth century.
- How to say "hello" in Turkish: merhaba
- Optional tour: Half-day tour of the Topkapi Palace—once the residence of the Ottoman sultans—and the Grand Bazaar, where you can buy textiles and exotic spices
Days 4–6: Troy, Pergamum, and Izmir
Over the next few days, you'll travel to various cities in the Turkish countryside in an air-conditioned motorcoach.
- See Troy, the 4,000-year-old city that was the epicenter of the Trojan War.
- Tour an ancient Roman spa, known as the Asclepion, in Pergamum, a city that thrived during the Hellenistic period.
- Spend a full day in Izmir, which is believed to be the birthplace of the poet Homer.
- Optional tours near Izmir: Explore ancient Ephesus, dotted with ruins, and the House of the Virgin Mary, believed to be Mary's home toward the end of her life.
Days 7–8: Pamukkale and Antalya
Thermal terraces, petrified waterfalls, and abundant hot springs characterize the ancient village of Pamukkale. The ancient Greeks founded Hieropolis here to take advantage of the therapeutic baths; today, the town is speckled with ancient ruins. After stopping here, it's off to Antalya, a resort town along the Mediterranean coast known for its lively nightlife and beaches.
- Language lesson: Pamukkale means "cotton castle" in Turkish.
- Soak up the sun at Lara Beach in Antalya, a popular spot thanks to its smooth sand and clear water.
- Optional tour: You can sign up to see Perge and the Antalya Archaeological Museum.
Days 9–11: Cappadocia and Ankara
Cappadocia is an ancient city and UNESCO World Heritage Site with otherworldly rock formations and a series of underground settlements. Next up, you'll see Ankara, the country's capital and second-largest city.
- Optional tours in Cappadocia: See a performance of the famous Whirling Dervishes, go on a hot-air balloon ride, or tour the city.
- Notable sights in Ankara: the mausoleum of Kemal Ataturk, first president of the Turkish Republic, and the Anatolian Civilizations Museum, which houses artifacts dating back to the Paleolithic Age
Days 12–13: Istanbul
The group returns to Istanbul for the last leg of the trip before flying home. You'll have the rest of the time to spend at your leisure.
- Optional tour: Spend your free day visiting a spice market and cruising down the Bosporus Strait, the river that separates Europe and Asia and bisects Istanbul.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much would it cost to fly from an airport not listed as part of this deal? The supplemental fee is subject to departure date and availability at the time of booking. For information regarding a specific departure date, please call (800) 682-3333 to speak with a Gate 1 Travel Reservation Specialist.
2. Can we extend our trip before or after the promotional dates for the deal? Gate 1 Travel is able to accommodate extensions for airfare. Hotel extensions are subject to availability.
3. How do I find out if the dates I want to travel are available? The dates available are listed on each option.
4. What happens if I buy the Groupon and my travel dates are not available? You can either choose another date or be refunded by Groupon. We suggest calling Gate 1 Travel to redeem your vouchers as soon as possible so that you do not run into this problem.
5. Does my child need a Groupon, and can they stay in my room? Yes, each person traveling (including children) needs to purchase a voucher. Your child may stay in your room; however, there are limits as to how many people per room. Triple rooms are available on this tour. Children must be 8 years old on this tour.