Request a Deal
Love this business? The more people who sign up, the more likely we are to get a deal.
People make it happen. Spread the word to request a deal!
32 signed up for this.
About this business
- American, Cafe, Californian, Burgers, European
- Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
From Our Editors
Chop Bar: A User's Guide
- Weekday breakfast: housemade gravlax on a bagel with red onion, capers, and cream cheese
- Weekend brunch: chorizo scramble
- Lunch: grilled-pork bánh mì
- Snack: house-pickled vegetables, or Rocky Point oysters
- Dinner: charcuterie platter, followed by oxtail poutine or butternut-squash risotto with kale
- Cocktail: Ginger Greyhound with Rain organic vodka, grapefruit juice, and a float of ginger beer
Vocab Lesson: Sit and stay a while—"chop bar" is not another term for a steak house, but rather, a West African slang term for the type of roadside eatery that doubles as a neighborhood hangout.
When to Visit: In the summer or fall for the annual pig roast.
- The ingredients: From seafood to bread to coffee to wine, everything comes from nearby. At Chop Bar, if it's not housemade, it's from a local farm, creamery, bakery, or roaster.
- The artwork: Every piece on the wall is an original, and it comes from the hands of an artist in the community.
- The impact: When you purchase an organic cotton Chop Bar T-shirt, all proceeds go to support Oakland schools.
One Check, Please! Bay Area reviewer was initially drawn in by the extensive, local wine list, and raved, "If I lived in a loft around the corner I would probably be at Chop Bar night and day." Another praised the atmosphere and said, "The cocktails are a must," while the final reviewer described the environment as "cozy" and the cuisine as "comfort food at its best."
- SF Gate called Chop Bar "communal," "refined," and "comforting yet casual," lauding the signature burger and the oxtail poutine in particular.
- SF Gate, in a review titled "Chop Bar is a Treat in Jack London Square," said, "The wait staff is a combination of laid back and attentive. The chatter and eclectic music layer in a warm vibe. It's inviting. It's comfortable. And it's got style … But the best part is the food is good, too."
While You’re in the Neighborhood
Before: Check out the state's science, history, and art at the Oakland Museum of California (1000 Oak Street), located just a 10-minute walk away.
After: Catch a new flick at Regal Jack London Stadium 9 (100 Washington Street).