More than 19% of New Yorkers—nearly 1.7 million people—live below the poverty line, according to data from the US Census Bureau. These people often have to choose between paying rent, traveling to work, and buying enough food to feed their families. Help fight hunger locally with this Groupon Grassroots campaign.
- $1,000 for VVIP admission to the City Harvest Bid Against Hunger event, including a private meet and greet with three celebrity chefs
On Tuesday, October 22, Bid Against Hunger will raise money for City Harvest to feed hungry New Yorkers while celebrating the culinary invention of the city's restaurants. Tastings from more than 70 top chefs and restaurants, including Untitled at the Whitney and Le Bernardin, fuel the hobnobbing of business leaders, foodies, and celebrity chefs alike. Contributors to this campaign kick off the evening by meeting and mingling with a trio of celebrity chefs for 30 minutes. The three chefs are:
- Chris Santos, executive chef and owner of The Stanton Social and Beauty & Essex, and a Chopped judge
- Donatella Arpaia, owner of Donatella, DBar, and Kefi, as well as an Iron Chef judge
- Harold Dieterle, owner of Perilla, Kin Shop, and The Marrow, and winner of the first season of Top Chef
The experience will also include access to an exclusive VIP tasting room—curated by chef sommelier of Le Bernardin, Aldo Sohm—that hosts the creations of regional chefs, hors d'oeuvres, and specialty wines. Throughout the evening, live and silent auctions bring high-end prizes within reach, including a private dumpling-making class with chef Anita Lo (Annisa), an exclusive dinner for 20 with chefs Marc Murphy and David Lombardo (both from Landmarc), and wines by David Lombardo. Last year the event attracted more than 900 guests and raised more than $1 million to help City Harvest feed hungry people across the city.
The Bid Against Hunger event runs from 7:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. at the Metropolitan Pavilion. The VIP portion begins at 6 p.m., and the VVIP celebrity-chef meet and greet begins at 5:30 p.m. Click here to view a full list of participating restaurants.
An elderly man without access to fresh food, a child whose stomach growls during school, and an unemployed mother all face the same challenge—not knowing where their next meal will come from. This is where City Harvest steps in. This year, City Harvest will collect 55 million pounds of excess food that would otherwise go to waste and will deliver it to soup kitchens and food pantries that serve New Yorkers like these. City Harvest gathers good food from all segments of the food industry, including restaurants, grocers, corporate cafeterias, manufacturers, and farms, and delivers it using a fleet of trucks and bikes. 500 community programs throughout the five boroughs—such as The Bowery Mission and Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen —ensure the food reaches the people who need it most, free of charge. For City Harvest, each pound of food costs just 26 cents to deliver, making it an affordable, efficient way to help feed the nearly 1.4 million New Yorkers who may face hunger every year.
* No donation is necessary to enter or win, and a donation will not increase your chances of winning. To enter without donation, you must handwrite on a 3x5 card labeled “Groupon’s City Harvest Tasting Sweepstakes Entry” your full name, country of residence, home and daytime telephone number (including area code), e-mail address and confirmation that you are at least 18 years old or the age of majority (all of which must be legible) and mail it (up to the daily limit below) with proper postage to: “Attention: Groupon’s City Harvest Tasting Sweepstakes Entry”, Groupon, Inc., 600 West Chicago Avenue, Ste. 400, Chicago, IL 60654. See Official Rules for additional requirements. Odds of winning depend on the total number of entries received. Void where prohibited by law. Sweepstakes only open to legal residents of the U.S. or D.C., 18+. Limit 4 entries per person per day, regardless of method of entry. Entry period ends:11:59 p.m. EST on 9/14/15. ARV of prize: $3800. Sponsor: Groupon, Inc., 600 West Chicago Avenue, Ste. 400, Chicago, IL 60654.
96% of 168 customers recommend
“City Harvest provides food to those in need and is a great organization for those who need help.”
“this was a donation to a cause i support And believe in”
“Thank you for making it SO easy for me to make a donation!”