History is full of illustrious matches: Antony and Cleopatra, Woody and Mia Farrow, Romeo and Master P. Today’s Groupon brings you the successor in this historic pairing lineage: wine and grilling. For $30, you’ll get $65 worth of food and drink at Firefly Grill & Wine Bar, an Encinitas eatery where grilled fare and great bottles live happily ever after in a charming fantasyland where everyone is best friends with their stomachs.
Toast the culinary couple with a glass of vino. The Sips menu features a wide variety of flavors and regions, all listed in sequence according to sweetness. Wines by the glass range from $7 to $13, while bottles run more than $28. Firefly Grill & Wine Bar received the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence for the past three years.
Executive chef Aaron Daily’s seasonal fare, featuring fresh local produce, seafood, and meats, is organized into two menus. On the Sample appetizer menu you’ll find a selection of bite-sized starters, such as ripe heirloom tomato salad ($10) and jumbo lump crab cakes bedded on a leek, pearl red onion, and heart-of-palm salad ($15). More ambitious eaters will prefer plates from the Savor entree menu. Try the swordfish ($28), which comes basil-crusted with grilled corn, lobster and ricotta cheese ravioli, and wilted arugula.
Crimson-clothed tables, sultry lighting, and pumpkin-colored painted walls set the mood at this eclectic eatery. Get this Groupon if you’re a foodie dating an oenophile, or just looking to pair your pour with something beyond the cheese plate.
San Diego Reader, the Union-Tribune, and Gayot have featured Firefly Grill & Wine Bar. Citysearchers and Yelpers give Firefly Grill & Wine Bar four stars, TripAdvisors give it four owl eyes, and 70% of Urbanspooners like it:
- The menu is always changing but I had the most amazing filet with the fig wine sauce that was cooked to perfection. – simplejanedoe, Citysearch
- The food is wonderful and is based on seasonal ,fresh ingredients. The wine list is extensive and the owner is extremely knowledgeable. No one else in the area brings in A-list names for wine dinners. – TallulahKBT, TripAdvisor
- Excellent food and wine paring. Enjoyed the dining experience. Choose the short rib and maine lobster combo for my entree. To die for. The wine with each selection was spot on. Loved it all. Pretty place. – Anna, Urbanspoon
Wine Spectator awarded Firefly Grill and Wine Bar its Award of Excellence. The magazine also hands restaurants its Award of Ho-Hum-cellence to recognize restaurants that are OK, but not great. Here are the restaurants that won the Ho-Hum-cellence award for 2009:
- Shrug's Seafood and Whatever Else
- Once-Baked Potato Hut
- Margaritas, Sangria, and...Uh, Margaritas
- Amicable Dan's Emotionless Pizza
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.