Hotel At a Glance: Foundry Park Inn & Spa
Surrounded by its own little village within Athens, the Foundry Park Inn & Spa is a luxury boutique hotel with wide verandas and historic buildings, some dating to the 1830s. Here, you'll be able to walk out the doors and head to an on-site music venue, the upscale Hoyt House restaurant, and an expansive spa. The main campus for the University of Georgia is nearby, as is the Classic Center, a part-convention center, part performing-arts center.
- Within walking distance: You can take a quick stroll to the shops, restaurants, and galleries of downtown Athens
- Live music: almost every night at the music venue and eatery The Melting Point, located on the property
- Elegant accommodations: Guest rooms are a study in quiet luxury, with a white and dove-grey color scheme and plantation-style windows that look out over tree-lined streets
- Melt away stress: at The Spa, the onsite beauty and wellness center with muscle-calming massages, wraps, facials, waxing, and nail services.
- Area shuttle: takes guests to any Athens destination within a five-mile radius
Athens, Georgia: University Town with Famous Live Music Scene
Athens is a college town—a mid-size city home to the University of Georgia in the state's northeast. Its downtown feels like campus town, with cobblestone streets and brick buildings hosting quirky shops, cafes, and restaurants. The use of alternative transportation, such as bikes, is widely encouraged. The campus and downtown have plenty of attractions to hold a visitor's interest, from a double-barreled canon made during the Civil War to the lush State Botanical Garden of Georgia, with its trickling fountains and elaborate plantings. Staying at the Foundry Park Inn & Spa, you'll be within walking distance of the Sanford Stadium, home of the Georgia Bulldogs, the Classic Center & Performing Arts Theatre, and the Georgia Museum of Art, which is currently running an exhibit on the art patronage of Catherine the Great.
A youthful vibe permeates Athens—there's a multitude of live music venues, and plenty of patios for sipping drinks and enjoying the tunes late into the warm Georgia nights. It should come as no surprise that there is a huge number of popular bands that have come from this town, including R.E.M., the B-52's, the Indigo Girls, Neutral Milk Hotel, and Widespread Panic.