Hotel at a Glance: Gideon Putnam Resort & Spa
Bob Hope, Cary Grant, and Fred Astaire are among the celebrity guests who've stayed at Gideon Putnam Resort & Spa, which is part of the sprawling 2,200-acre Saratoga Spa State Park. At the resort, you'll have easy access to hydrotherapy treatments, championship golf courses, and free shuttle service to downtown Saratoga.
- Nearby attractions: Include a golf course, an ice skating rink, and the Saratoga Automobile Museum
- Roosevelt Baths and Spa: Indulge in mineral-infused hydrotherapy baths and algae wraps that slough off harmful toxins and old luchador masks.
- Local eats: Micro-brew beers, house-ground beef burgers, and seafood are all available at nearby restaurants.
- In-room amenities: Flat-screen TVs and free WiFi
- Conference center: With more than 10,000 square feet of meeting space
Saratoga Springs, New York: Rich Horseracing History in the Adirondack Mountains
Saratoga Springs is often called "a city in the country” since it offers the arts and culture of a large metropolis in a peaceful setting with rolling green fields and sprawling horse farms. Horses are a big deal in Saratoga. The Saratoga Springs Race Course—the oldest track of its kind in America—was built back in the middle of the 19th century, when society's elite first began coming to town to unwind in the area's soothing natural hot springs.
You can go even further back in time at the site of the Battle of Saratoga, a pivotal point in the Revolutionary War. There's an old-timey vibe to downtown Saratoga Springs, too, where charming Victorian buildings house art galleries, bookstores, bistros, and bakeries.