- $119 for one admission to an all-day Biking the Lehigh River Gorge Rail Trail excursion ($199 value)
- When: Sunday, June 14, or Saturday, July 4
- Where: departs from 8th Avenue between West 31st and West 33rd streets
- Wear and bring: comfortable and broken-in sneakers; weather-appropriate clothing (lots of layers and rain gear if the weather is uncertain); sunglasses, sunscreen, chapstick, and riding gloves; a day-pack for extra clothes, snacks, water, and camera.
- Difficulty: Outdoor Connections gives this excursion an intermediate trip rating
- 8 a.m.: meet on the steps of the US Post Office across from Penn Station, then depart at 8:15 a.m. sharp
- Spend the day on the slightly downhill multi-use rail trail
- 7:15 p.m. (approximately): the bus returns you to the pickup spot
Included in each trip
- Round-trip transportation
- Bike and helmet rental
- Guide fees
- Continental breakfast and picnic lunch
Biking the Lehigh River Gorge Rail Trail Excursion
The city falls away as the Outdoor Connections team makes for Lehigh River Gorge. The journey is more scenic than challenging—even less-experienced riders can easily follow the down-sloping, crushed-stone path that runs from White Haven to Jim Thorpe. But along the way they’ll find both awe-inspiring vistas and the remnants of the old Lehigh Canal that once ran along this route.
A Ride Through History
Over roughly three hours, 25 miles whiz by as bikers travel at their own pace, taking note of the natural rock formations, tumbling waterfalls, and remnants of the abandoned railroad. It’s just a stone’s throw from the river itself, on an easy downhill path free of rocks, roots, and hills.
Companions on the Journey
Besides your fellow bikers, you’re likely to spot whitewater rafters and kayakers as well as some of the area’s abundant wildlife.
The Most Delicious Challenge
After a victory dance with your team, you’ll face down the prospect of devouring a picnic lunch in the fresh summer air.