According to most restaurant critics, the perfect Southern meal is served on a plate, which rests on a table with legs. Try some authentic Southern cuisine the way it was meant to be served with today's Groupon to Langston Bar & Grille in the Atlas District. Choose from the following dining options:
- For $25, you get $50 worth of Southern comfort fare from the menu.
- For $35, you get one prix fixe meal on November 16 at 5:30 p.m. (a $70 value).
- For $35, you get one prix fixe meal on November 16 at 8:30 p.m. (a $70 value).
- For $35, you get one prix fixe meal on November 23 at 5:30 p.m. (a $70 value).
- For $35, you get one prix fixe meal on November 23 at 8:30 p.m. (a $70 value).
Langston Bar & Grille serves nutritious Southern comfort fare made from fresh, organic produce and free-range meats. Take charge of your mealsperience with hearty menu entrees such as shrimp and grits served with your choice of two sides ($14), such as fried okra and sweet-potato fries ($4 each, à la carte). Or, leave the decisions to the professionals with an extravagant three-course prix fixe dinner paired with tastings of three Rémy Martin cognacs and two luxurious cigars. Feast your eye spheres on the mouth-watering docket:
- Appetizer: jerk wings and chicken livers, or salmon cakes with cheese grits
- Choice of entree:
- crispy fried chicken, collard greens, and baked mac 'n' cheese
- blackened tilapia, buttered beans, and string beans
- spare ribs, mashed potatoes, and cabbage
- Dessert: peach cobbler, sweet-potato cake, or sweet-potato pie
The eatery's friendly, attentive staff and cozy décor of exposed brick, multi-colored walls, and funky art pieces foster a laid back, homey atmosphere. Langston Bar & Grille's eponymous hardwood bar is perfect for sharing well-mixed drinks and squirrel-wrangling tales of yore while watching the big game on flat-screen TVs. The Washington Post calls it "the kind of place that just sucks you in."
- The fried chicken delivers (crispy, seasoned skin, meat that comes off the bone), and the sides deserve attention of their own: The greens have a hint of brown sugar and spice from the hot sauce, the mac and cheese is gooey and just a bit crusty. The butter beans make me wish the chicken came with three sides instead of two. – Fritz Hahn, The Washington Post
- A cool and informal neighborhood spot with some of the best comfort "soul" food I've ever had. Shrimp and Grits and Jerk Chicken are off the chain. Very easy "vibe" with pleasant and attentive staff. – John C., Yelp
Langston Bar & Grille
Taking its name from U.S. Congressman and Freedmen's Bureau official John Mercer Langston, Langston Bar & Grille maintains a connection to tradition with its country-style meals of shrimp and grits, black-eyed peas, and barbecue ribs. The eatery blends haute cuisine with home cooking, not only on its Southern-tinged menu—which features dishes such as wild-caught fish fried in cornmeal batter and Angus beef burgers—but also in a classy lounge atmosphere of art-decked walls, patio seating, and a full-service bar. Like a barbecue smoker full of chips from free-range hickory trees, the foods themselves infuse a touch of healthy, responsible eating to the rich and satisfying flavors of Southern cuisine, with organic veggies and sides such as baked cabbage, string beans, and collard greens. Guests can complement their home-style feasts with slices of sweet potato pie, glasses of wine and beer, or sweet-smelling imported cigars.
1831 Benning Road NE
Washington, DC, District of Columbia 20002Get Directions