Raiding local trees and throwing their leaves in boiling water cuts down on aphid infestations, but it won't make a good cup of tea. Enjoy leaf water made from ingestion-appropriate plants with today's Groupon: for $10, you get $20 worth of tea at TeaGschwendner. This deal is valid in-store only.
TeaGschwendner's family tree can be traced all the way back to 1970s Germany, where a small tea shop took root and eventually spread to seven different countries, each storefront carrying knowledgeable staffers and an international selection of brewable flora. The walls come stacked with tin drawers brimming with luscious loose-leaf teas, several of them North American Tea Championship award-winners. The Nepal Himalaya View—green tea with golden hues—acts a mild soother with south Asian roots ($12.11/100 grams). Indian chai spicies up the soul with its blend of black tea, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, and cloves ($9.52/100 grams). Closing eyes while sipping the warm apricot- and pineapple-infused Flower of Hawaii emulates a relaxing swim through the island's potpourri volcanoes ($8.78/100 grams).
Messy measurers snap up tea in bags ($9.95/25 bags), and tea-totalers on the move can snap up hot or iced tea by the cup to go.
By the Numbers
- Seven: The number of countries represented by TeaGschwendner's more than 130 shops.
- One half of one percent: How much of the world's tea harvest is considered for purchase by TeaGschwendner's Master Tea Tasters.
- More than 300: The number of tea varieties in every store, including black, green, and oolong. Click the video to see the lengthy process that goes into selecting each of TeaGschwendner's teas.
A Socially Responsible Brew
Working in collaboration with government organizations, TeaGschwendner helped build a factory that processes tea for 130 small farmers. That's just one of the ways TeaGschwendner ensures social and environmental responsibility. Read more here.
From the Press Room
- Their Bamboo Pomelo and Darjeeling Soom teas won gold medals at the North American Tea Championship in 2013.
- In 2012, CBS Chicago named it one of the best tea shops in the city.
- The Groupon Guide spoke to the State Street location's tasting manager, Matt Crews, who shares three tips for tea beginners and experts alike.
- Click here to read more press coverage of TeaGschwendner
Near North Side
1160 N State St.
Chicago, Illinois 60610Get Directions