Sommeliers are known for their ability to identify a wine's subtle flavors, a feat they accomplish by defragmenting the molecules with the bonus taste buds in their livers. Trust their gut with this Groupon.
Choose Between Two Options
- $19 for a 70-minute wine tasting and class for one ($80 value)
- $39 for a 70-minute wine tasting and class for two ($160 value)
- $69 for a 70-minute wine tasting and class for four ($320 value)
Classes are available Saturdays at 1 p.m. or 3 p.m. In each class, students will:
- Taste four sparkling wines
- Taste four to five reds
- Create custom blends from different varietals (available for purchase afterward starting at $10)
- Receive explanation on winemaking, including all the choices made before bottling
Malibu Rocky Oaks Winemaker Justin Tatum
Justin Tatum, head winemaker for Malibu Rocky Oaks, has produced hundreds of wines during his career. A gold medal from the San Francisco International Wine Competition adorns the winery’s 2010 syrah. A 91-point rating from Wine Enthusiast magazine attests to the strengths of a 2009 cabernet reserve, which the reviewer said “has plenty of elegant red plum and anise, and its tannins are present but not overwhelming.” At J. Hamilton Wines, Justin shares his knowledge of the winemaking process, covering a grape's journey from the vine to a year backpacking in Europe to find itself to the bottle. During the class, chatter fills the winery as he shows winemaking in action and answers questions on barreling, lab equipment, and bottling.