Hotel at a Glance: Horse Creek Resort
Horse Creek Resort gives guests easy access to all the outdoor adventures the Black Hills have to offer. Visitors can set off on the hiking and ATV trails that connect to the property or rent a wave runner or boat from the marina and take it for a spin on nearby Sheridan Lake. After a long day in the sun, guests can return to their comfortable cabins to relax and recharge.
- In-room amenities include free WiFi.
- Admire the view from your cabin’s deck.
- Take it to the water: some of this deals options include half-day pontoon boat rental.
- Make s’mores in the fire ring near your cabin.
- Grab a bite at the onsite steakhouse, whose rustic decor includes wagon wheel chandeliers.
- Go fish: Lake Sheridan is home to trout, panfish, perch, and northern pike.
- Distance from Mount Rushmore: 14.5 miles
Rapid City, South Dakota: Family-Friendly Town near Mount Rushmore
In South Dakota’s Black Hills, views of the rugged landscape stretch for miles and miles, obstructed only by towering pine forests and the faces of four US presidents carved into the façade of Mount Rushmore. Rapid City is just a half hour from the iconic site, close enough for vacationers to take an easy day trip to go hiking through the forest or whitewater rafting on Rapid Creek. In town, you can unwind with a craft beer and catch live local music at one of Rapid City’s independently owned brewpubs. Keep an eye out for US presidents—there are 42 statues of them scattered throughout town.
Rapid City is the most convenient home base for visits to Badlands National Park, where you can hike amid prairies and geologic formations and spot bison, bighorn sheep, and other wildlife. For a different kind of day trip, make the 50-minute drive to Wall Drug, a kitschy shopping mall and slice of Americana that attracts some two million visitors each year.