- $62 for a 90-minute architectural boat tour for two ($84 value)
The fully narrated cruise travels the Main Branch as well as the North and South Branches of the Chicago River. The tour includes complimentary Starbucks coffee, Twining’s tea, Coca-Cola soft drinks, and cookies or muffins. Chicago Line Cruises recommends passengers arrive 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure.
Chicago Line Cruises
Sometimes all it takes is a suggestion. Terry Johnson and Paul McCarthy founded their vessel-chartering business in 1980. But when a good friend recommended they offer expertly narrated tours on the history and the iconic architecture of Chicago, the pair jumped at the opportunity. Praised as the “Best architecture tour available” by the Chicago Sun-Times and “Most engaging tour of the bunch” by Time Out Chicago, their river cruises take passengers on three types of educational, 90-minute tours of the city. Chicago Line Cruises has transported more than three million Chicagoans and visitors along the river for entertainment, stunning views, and a deeper appreciation for architectural design.
- Learn how Chicago became the birthplace of the first buildings to be dubbed "skyscrapers."
- Hear how the Great Chicago Fire paved the way for an architectural renaissance.
- See a broad selection of modern architectural styles and discover the distinctive characteristics of each.
- Experience Chicago's first architectural river cruise.
- Hear the overarching story of how Chicago transformed from a swampy marshland to a world-class city.
- Learn about the Chicagoans whose innovations helped influence architecture and commerce around the world.
- Savor a cup of Starbucks coffee while a guide recounts Chicago's triumphant and tragic moments.
- Historical tours are presented in partnership with the Chicago History Museum.
- Private outings are available for 20–173 passengers.
- Full-service bars and professional sound systems are available for special events.
- Celebrate while savoring views of the Chicago skyline from a different perspective.
- Choose from three vessels: the Ft. Dearborn, the Innisfree, and the Marquette.