Much like a massage from a cat, coffee helps people wake up, enlivens morning routines, and can be painful against bare skin. Keep a lid on your morning with today's Groupon: for $49, you get admission to a gourmet coffee brewing and tasting for two at Heirloom Coffee LLC in Medford (a $150 value). The event includes:
- An introductory seminar to Southeast Asian coffee culture
- Brewing and tasting of four exotic and rare coffees
- Two take-home packages (one for each participant) that each include:
- A choice of two bags of eight-ounce coffees that were not sampled at event
- A choice of two 50-gram sample bags
- One stainless-steel Vietnamese coffee Phin filter/brewer
- One sample pack of gourmet instant coffees; blooming silver needle tea; and two cans of ready-to-drink, fresh-brewed iced coffees
- One coupon for 15% off purchase of additional coffee products
- One coupon for 25% off a future brewing and tasting event for a friend
Heirloom Coffee LLC imports specialty coffees and teas from Sumatra, Vietnam, and the Philippines, sourcing its beans from coffee estates across the lush hillsides and rich valleys that dapple the Southeast Asian countryside. The brewing and tasting event is an intimate gathering of no more than eight attendees in a 90-minute, hands-on seminar that enlightens the palate with four exotic hot and iced coffees. After a brief human-pyramid exercise and an introduction to Vietnamese coffee culture, the class dives into the four featured coffees: Kopi Luwak, Liberica, Sumatra Lintong, and the Legendee. Students then brew batches themselves using a traditional Phin filter or French press, a more functional and sophisticated alternative to the bench press. Three coffees will be brewed hot, while the fourth will be brewed as Vietnamese iced coffee. These slower brewing methods release the rare and subtle flavors of the Kopi Luwak, diffuse the naturally spicy and complex tones of the Sumatra Lintong, and untether the smoky shades of Liberica. At home students may further their coffee explorations with the help of their custom samples and new stainless-steel filters.
Heirloom Coffee possesses a magic door to Southeast Asia, specifically Vietnam—or at least that’s how it seems as they endlessly stock their shelves with the country and region’s best coffees. Their coffee reaches nearly every US state and territory, a feat achieved by shooting the bags of beans out of a huge circus cannon. Out of their red-trimmed office in Medford, the coffee connoisseurs also educate the public on brewing their beverages through detailed seminars that span coffee’s history and culture before diving into a hands-on brewing and tasting lesson with take-home samples and equipment.