Visitors can enjoy a fun day out fossil-hunting in this geological treasure site surrounded by wildlife-populated nature trails
What You'll Get
Save on admission and have fun at our fossil park this summer.
- What’s included in Single-Day Admission: guided tour and fossil collecting in the surrounding quarry and nature trails
- Tours depart every 30 minutes beginning at 9:15 a.m. The final tour each day departs at 2:45 p.m. The park closes at 4:30 p.m.
- View the opening hours for the upcoming season
- Free admission for children under 3
- Face coverings required for people over the age of 3
- Guests can rent toolsets at $5/day or bring their own. Recommended tools include:
- Rock hammer with steel handle
- Small sledgehammer and chisel
- Pry bars
- Safety goggles
- Newspaper/bubble wrap
Bags for storing wrapped fossils
- What’s included in Private Family Expedition with 1-Year Membership: Two-hour professionally guided expedition for up to 8 guests of any age, tool rental and bags for collecting, 1-year of Family Membership to Penn Dixie ($60 value), a complimentary copy our official fossil book, ‘Geology and Palaeontology of Eighteen Mile - Creek’ by Amadeus Grabau, 1898
- Your small group can experience a private collecting expedition in the true style of field paleontology. Your guide — a knowledgeable and experienced member of our staff — will take you on a journey through our 54-acre park in search of a range of fossils. During the two-hour guided tour, you’ll visit our most prolific spots where you’re guaranteed to find fossils — all of which you can keep for your collection. Your guide will also take you to some unexpected places in search of more exotic fossils, including armored fish and the legendary “golden” trilobite.
Private expeditions are available for all ages. We can schedule an expedition for any day of the week, most times during the year — even when Penn Dixie is closed to the public. Please contact us if you have concerns about mobility impairments. We will work with you to plan an expedition best suited to your needs.
- Prohibited items and behavior: Dogs except for service animals; bicycles beyond the parking lot; ATVs and motorbikes; littering; firearms; archery; hunting; trapping; smoking; and alcoholic beverages. Running is not permitted due to the uneven nature of the site’s topography. Stone-throwing is also prohibited.
- What to bring: Food and drinks
- Picnic area available
- The site is wheelchair-accessible
The Fine Print
About Penn Dixie
At the heart of Penn Dixie is a fossil quarry—one that's so prolific it captures the attention of science buffs from around the world. But this isn't a look-and-don't-touch kind of quarry. At this 54-acre site, visitors are encouraged to dig into what was once a shallow ocean environment (380 million years ago) and to keep the fossils they find. The visitors' center even offers buckets of tools available to rent. Once they're finished with their paleontological expeditions, guests can spend the rest of their day exploring nature trails and wetlands and spotting wildlife such as bald eagles and red-tailed hawks.