One of the largest mushrooms cultivated, a portabella can double as a shield against the rain, a delicious beret, or an exfoliating bath sponge. Enjoy the versatile fungus the way it was meant to be enjoyed with today's Groupon at Portabella Restaurant in Clayton. Choose from two options:
- For $13, you get $30 worth of local Italian dinner cuisine and drinks.
- For $10, you get $22 worth of fresh lunch fare.
As twilight burnishes the sky a romantic gold color and unleashes a plague of whiny emo-vampires, kick off a dinner at Portabella with an order of its namesake 'shroom served with grilled asparagus and drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette ($7.95), or cast it in crispy form with fresh mozzarella and marinara for the crispy mozzarella order ($5.95). Portabella also offers salads ($5.95–$6.95), pizzas ($10.95 each), and pastas. The cheese tortellini keeps it true and traditional with oven-roasted tomatoes and tomato-asiago cream sauce ($13.95). Meat lovers, meanwhile, can pounce on the crispy chicken milanese served with pasta and marinara ($15.95), or the provimi veal liver sautéed with caramelized onions, pancetta, and balsamic vinegar ($17.95). Seafarers can dive for sunken treasures in fresh sea fare such as the grilled tilapia, served with butternut squash purée, mushrooms, and warm bacon vinaigrette ($17.95); or with the crispy scallops, enhanced with sautéed spinach, roasted cauliflower, and white truffle beurre blanc ($22.95). Portabella's lunch offerings include selections from chopped salads to sandwiches and flat breads.
Side selections with sips from the eatery's Wine Spectator award-winning wine list of obscure boutique bottles, top vintages of first-growth bordeaux, and popular favorites. Like the World Cup, Portabella's cellar brings together the best of California, Italy, France, Germany, South America, and Missouri. Unlike the World Cup, Portabella's wine causes relatively few riots. All pours are stored in a temperature-controlled wine cellar with a glass floor and served in Riedel stemware. Budget imbibers can find more than 30 wines priced at less than $30 a bottle. Call ahead to make a reservation.
This Groupon is valid for dine-in only.
- The basic house theme is Italian, and that means homemade pasta and pizza with ingredients like mozzarella, pesto and pancetta. Beyond that, the kitchen gets creative in a way we like, both on the hot and cold small plates and more traditional entrées. – Gayot
- Portabella is consistently good. The service is strong, the wines are great and the atmosphere is lovely. – OpenTable reviewer who dined on 04/26/2010
- Excellent food with daily specials. Good wine list. Excellent Pasta and sea food [sic] dishes, but menu is quite ecclectic [sic] and service very good. – Ed A., Yelp
15 N Central Ave.
Clayton, Missouri 63105Get Directions