Choose Between Two Options
$45 for a prix fixe dinner for two, redeemable Sunday–Thursday (up to $82 total value)
$49 for a prix fixe dinner for two, redeemable any day (up to $82 total value)
- Two appetizers (up to $13 value each)
- Two entrees (up to $21 value each)
- Two desserts (up to $7 value each)
- View the menu
It's like something out of a fairy tale; brother-and-sister chefs Tommy and Camie Lai were raised in Rasa, Malaysia, a village whose name means "taste" in the Malay language. Their birthplace shaped their culinary upbringing, gifting the pair with family recipes derived from local choo char comfort foods. It also gave them the name of their restaurant, where they share these flavors with grateful diners. Read on to learn more about the restaurant.
- Appetizer: marinated soft-shell crabs fried 'til crispy and dusted with spices
- Soup: tom yam shrimp with bell peppers, bamboo shoots, and straw mushrooms
- Entree: fried chili chicken
About the Chefs: Tommy Lai's family emigrated from Malaysia to New York in the early '90s. Soon after, he began working at Malaysian restaurants. That hard work paid off; during Tommy's tenure as head chef of Laut, the restaurant earned a Michelin star in 2011. In 2013, he and sister Camie, also a chef, branched off on their own and opened Rasa.
About the Food: Rasa focuses on choo char cooking, replicating the no-frills dishes of Malaysian comfort and street food. However, they also serve food influenced by Japanese, Thai, Indian, and other Asian culinary traditions. The siblings are so focused on authentic flavors that they import ingredients from Malaysia because they can't find suitable substitutes in the United States.
- Belachan: a fragrant paste used in traditional Malaysian cooking that’s made from sun-fermented shrimp
- Massaman: a yellow Thai curry with Muslim origins. It features many traditional Thai ingredients, including coconut milk and bay leaves.
Praise from the Press
84% of 126 customers recommend
“Excellent cuisine Great service Good location Recommended!”
“The food is amazing don't be scared to try anything because it's all great!”
“Great food, good vibes!”